Heat probelms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heat probelms

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
tommyjohn91

Heat probelms

I have a 1998 grand cherokee and I'm having a problem with my heat whenever I put it on no matter what setting I put it on it only comes out on defrost any ideas?

tommyjohn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyjohn91 View Post
I have a 1998 grand cherokee and I'm having a problem with my heat whenever I put it on no matter what setting I put it on it only comes out on defrost any ideas?
Probably a break or leak in your vacuum lines. The vent controls are run by the vacuum system.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
mprtrpr

Yeah, you have a vacuum line off or broken somewhere.
mprtrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
power
1994 ZJ 

I had a similar problem on my 94. Not sure if you have vacuum controls like my 94. but if you do, I took it all apart cleaned and greased up the controls. They were all dry and gunked up. Cleaned and checked all the vaccum hoses and connections. Worked great after that. I just have to remember to pick up a new knob from the junkyard next time I am there. I had been reefing on mine when it was not working properly and broke it. Now the controls actually click at each setting and are very smooth.

I can't recall all the details but there are little detent ball bearing thingys that run in a track and fall into a groove when you move the control Knob and they make a clicking sound when running smooth. My other vague memory is there is a round rubber plate like thing that has a ridged pattern on one side of it that directs some of the vaccum pressure as you turn it. I think it was on the defrost control that you were having problems with. Mine was gunked up and not working properly. Every thing worked after I cleaned everything and greased the Nylon parts that looked like they needed lubrication. Sorry about the vague memories and descriptions, but if you take everything apart you should be able to see how it all works and clean and reset it to original unless you find broken parts inside.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.