Heat Not Very Warm - Newbie 5.9ZJ Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heat Not Very Warm - Newbie 5.9ZJ Owner

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heat Not Very Warm - Newbie 5.9ZJ Owner

Ok, as of last week, I'm a new, first time ZJ 5.9 owner (12 year TJ Owner) and not super technically or mechanically inclined.

I saw mention of some Diagnostics that I might be able to run as a starting point, but no clue how to make that happen.

I can say that the blower is working well, lots of air moving, the Defrost blows air up top like it should and the dash and floor vents do their thing when the dial is on them. The Engine gets up to temp in a normal time as I expect 200-210, and the Radiator Was recently flushed and refilled per the previous owner (the coolant appears nice and new looking green).

I live in NorCal where the weather doesn't get real cold, but we've been in the High 20's overnight/early AM, so it would be nice to have at least some luke warm air, but I'm not worried enough to spend thousands of dollars to fix.

I did some searching (and willing to continue doing so), but was hoping some folks could give me places to start... There are a lot of new terms and things I don't really know where or what they are (Blend Doors, Heater Cores, etc).

Any help, or places for me to start looking would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Sw2

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Let the engine warm up, and turn the heater on and after a few minutes feel both heater hoses under the hood. If one is a lot cooler than the other, you might have a restricted heater core. You can disconnect the heater hoses and flush a water through it both ways with a garden hose. If one hose is still cool afterward its probably still restricted and may need a new core.

Im not quite sure you can see the temp blend door or actuator from under the dash, but it might not be moving or could be broken. someone else may chime in here with some more tips hopefully.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Let the engine warm up, and turn the heater on and after a few minutes feel both heater hoses under the hood. If one is a lot cooler than the other, you might have a restricted heater core. You can disconnect the heater hoses and flush a water through it both ways with a garden hose. If one hose is still cool afterward its probably still restricted and may need a new core.

Im not quite sure you can see the temp blend door or actuator from under the dash, but it might not be moving or could be broken. someone else may chime in here with some more tips hopefully.
Thanks, I'll give it a try later today!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Finally checked the heater hoses going into the firewall... after a pretty good warmup and heater running, the hoses were nearly identical temp, at least to the touch, and neither all that HOT, was warm, but I could touch and hold there without too much problem.

Additionally, no matter what temp I had the dial set inside, it was pretty much the same temp air coming out of the vents. Whether the AC was on down to 56 or whatever, or heat all the way on HI, it was a constant "medium warm" air blowing. Does that help me pinpoint any possible issue?

Thanks
Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
stephen3776
1993 ZJ 

Do you have Auto Temp Control (ATC)? Several poosibilities for what could be wrong but from the posts it sounds like a blend door.
stephen3776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen3776 View Post
Do you have Auto Temp Control (ATC)? Several poosibilities for what could be wrong but from the posts it sounds like a blend door.
I dunno if I have ATC or not, how do I know/check?
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

ATC ( automatic temp control ) has the little digital display. Manual A/C is just the 3 knobs. Either system on 98's use an electric actuator/motor to move the temp blend door.

It sounds like you probably have a problem with the temp door or the motor that controls the temp door position. The actuator/motor can be accessed or replaced pretty easy. Its on the bottom of the HVAC case above the trans tunnel, you can get to it from the pass floor side. You might grab a flash light and get to where you can see the motor assy. reach up to the control head and switch the temp knob back and forth from hot/cold and watch the to see if the motor shaft is moving the door. If its not moving I bet the motor is bad. If its moving the door is probably broken.
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
NW-XJ
1998 ZJ 

The ATC you speak of is standard equipment in the 5.9
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ATC ( automatic temp control ) has the little digital display. Manual A/C is just the 3 knobs. Either system on 98's use an electric actuator/motor to move the temp blend door.

It sounds like you probably have a problem with the temp door or the motor that controls the temp door position. The actuator/motor can be accessed or replaced pretty easy. Its on the bottom of the HVAC case above the trans tunnel, you can get to it from the pass floor side. You might grab a flash light and get to where you can see the motor assy. reach up to the control head and switch the temp knob back and forth from hot/cold and watch the to see if the motor shaft is moving the door. If its not moving I bet the motor is bad. If its moving the door is probably broken.
Ok, I have the Digital thing then, i don't have 3 dials...

I'll go out and take a peek once I get the kids to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-XJ View Post
The ATC you speak of is standard equipment in the 5.9
Thanks, I have a lot to learn about the ZJ's...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
stephen3776
1993 ZJ 

If you have the ATC you can push the AC and Recirc button at the same time and it will give error codes. This might help point you in the right direction.
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you have the ATC you can push the AC and Recirc button at the same time and it will give error codes. This might help point you in the right direction.
Using this FAQ - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...ostics-106446/

I got a Code 23, which I don't really understand.
23......... PCM message missing.....................Collision Detection C2D BUS Inputs

Any idea what to check next?
Quote:
Laying on the pass floor, looking up under the dash at the trans tunnel, and I don't see anything that looks like a door or something that opens and closes...do I need to remove stuff to see what I'm supposed to be looking at?
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
stephen3776
1993 ZJ 

If I am reading your post correctly you have a 98 ZJ and the reference
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...ostics-106446/
is for a 99 ZJ. An error code 23 on a 98ZJ is Door Travel Range to small (Blend Door Actuator Drive Circuit). This could be wiring, stuck door, bad actuator, broken arm to blend door.
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If I am reading your post correctly you have a 98 ZJ and the reference
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...ostics-106446/
is for a 99 ZJ. An error code 23 on a 98ZJ is Door Travel Range to small (Blend Door Actuator Drive Circuit). This could be wiring, stuck door, bad actuator, broken arm to blend door.
Yes I have a 98, and the Link showed errors for both 98 and before and 99+, and I though I was looking at the right chart, but will look again, thanks for helping me with this too... I really appericiate it!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
stephen3776
1993 ZJ 

No problem as I know what your are going through, just had to backflush the heater core on my 93 ZJ. I have to say thanks to NewfieZJ for pointing me in the right directions for figuring out what is wrong with heater systems.
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Sorry I dont have pics, but that temp actuator can be hard to see, you will probably have to adjust the carpet a bit to get to it. It should be held on by a couple phillips screws, you will need a angled screw driver to get them out. The motor will need to drop straight down to remove. Also there is a link between the motor and the shaft on the door that can break too. There are companies that make metal links to replace the cheap plastic one too (if its broken)

If you can picture where the heater core is in the HVAC box, the motor is right beside the core.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.