Headliner replacement Guide - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 97 Old 07-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Buick350X
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
I don't know if heat does it any good either. I don't think you see as many drooping headliners in colder climates. Of course it might also be a "dry cold".

It's not a terrible job. A bit time consuming, for sure, but the results are worth it. If you do tackle it, make sure you use the special 3M glue for headliners. It's supposed to hold better against higher temperatures than basic contact cements and other adhesives. So far the only issue I have is that I may have attacked cleaning the front edge of my headliner with a little too much zeal. It's the only place that's not holding, as the fiberboard liner-frame has gotten frayed up there, so the glue may be holding, but the fiberboard is opened up. Fortunately, it's held up there by the "A" pillars and visors, so it's unlikely to get in the way. I'm not thrilled about it, but I didn't read about being careful with that front edge until after I wasn't, apparently. Good luck.
IM guessing heat is it, as I don't have a garage, just a stone drive way. Guessing the heat loosens that foam even more.

what has stopped me from breaking open the piggy bank and buying an 80s Vette I like ALLOT. guy hasn't had the top up in 5 years. I can't afford a new vert top for it and buy it too [ ins also, less I go min coverage ].

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4.0L Up-Country + BB - facebook groups JeepOrvis.Club JeepZJ.Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 07-31-2016, 10:18 AM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

So. Related question here - my Jeep doesn't have the overhead console, but a buddy suggested the wiring was probably there for it since it was an option.

If that's actually the case, I could pull a JY headliner and get it redone, plus add the console. What do you think?

HID Projector retro! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
post #93 of 97 Old 07-31-2016, 10:59 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Check that the wiring is there of course.

But it should work. You might not get all the functions since the temp sensor probably isn't in the front end, but the basics should work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #94 of 97 Old 07-31-2016, 11:19 AM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Well. Again, if there is wiring for the sensor I could always add that. lol

HID Projector retro! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
post #95 of 97 Old 10-18-2016, 05:53 AM
CarComp
1998 ZJ 

I read most if not all of the thread, and I don't think that anyone mentioned this... You can buy 'headliner fabric'. If you haven't seen it, it doesn't make sense to try to explain it, but just look at the pictures. I found a LT GRAY AUTOMOTIVE AUTO PRO HEADLINER FABRIC 3/16" FOAM BACKING 120"L X 60"W on ebay for $36.95 with free shipping. This type of material is what the factory uses. The foam is attached to the 'felt' part that droops down, and you only have to use the spray adhesive between the foam and the headliner shell / fiberglass frame part. This approach means that you won't see ANY of the original adhesive, since the foam between the shell and the felt makes up for all of the imperfections.

I HIGHLY recommend going this route. You can find it in just about every color, and its ridiculously easy to work with. It comes in a big roll. You can't find it at fabric stores, however, sometimes if you can find an automobile upholstery shop, they will have it on hand.

Here are a couple of images of the roll itself, and at the bottom is an image of the results from doing it myself in my old car. I expect my Jeep to turn out the same way. (note that I had not installed the little lights on the sides, thats what the holes in the ceiling are for).

Quick tip: don't bother wrapping around the sides on the inner items (overhead console, etc).. Just cut small holes for the mounts as well as a small hole for the wires. The screws will penetrate the material easily enough. This almost ALWAYS turns out to look better.
Attached Thumbnails
headliner_material.jpg   headliner_material2.jpg   headliner_material3.jpg  
post #96 of 97 Old 10-19-2016, 10:25 AM
thcheme
1995 ZJ 

https://goo.gl/photos/3pWqhGskSJxvv5jBA

I just used felt with a camo print. Same process with spray glue. I am post #71 also, 2 years ago, not a hint of sagging. Picture in this reply was recent.

95 ZJ 5.2
Fixd: Door wires, Radio, Cooling, 242, used D35, hinges, track arms, valve cover gaskets

Last edited by thcheme; 10-19-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added info
post #97 of 97 Old 10-31-2016, 12:15 PM
Spike6901
1997 ZJ 

I tackled this project last weekend and it was very easy. It took about 45 minutes to disassemble everything and pull out the headliner board. Another half hour was spent cleaning it and preparing it for paint. I used three cans of spray on bed liner and let it dry over night. It turned out pretty nice but you can see the fiberglass texture. I think it looks fine though and I just knew I would mess up a cloth replacement with wrinkles and such.

It took about an hour to get everything back in place and only because I got the plastic tab behind the seat belt upside down the first time so had to take it back out, flip it, and reinstall to get the bolts in.

Overall, it was about 3 hours of total work and $30 worth of paint.

I still need to work over the roof center console though and will take pics after that is done.

'17 JKU, '97 ZJ - Built
Past: CJ-7, XJ, KJ, JKU

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.