Headliner replacement Guide - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headliner replacement Guide

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #31
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
This past weekend, I opted for spraying bedliner on the headliner. I used the shop vac/small wire brush method to remove the old headliner backing material. I also ripped that nasty old fabric from the visors and overhead console. 'Sprayed the outside piece of the OC with bedliner too.

So far, I like the clean look, but I may go back and paint it grey...who knows? Time will tell.

Havent decided what to do with the visors. For now, I'll just reinstall them without the fabric....which looks pretty bad.

It's going to be nice being able to drive with a window down today. With that sagging headliner, I couldnt do that before. ( you guys know what I'm talking about, if your headliner is starting to come down )

I crave fresh air and sunshine anyway. That's the reason I buy Jeeps in the first place !
Exactly why I buy jeeps! Oh and I also get debris from the foam coming down on me. Can't wait to get started!

Unread 06-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I'm still thinking about spraying the Jeep Name ( logo) on the headliner, but I didnt have time this weekend. My current lady friend said it needs to say 4X4, or ZJ and the Jeep logo over the cargo area, in red. ( the body color) . Then I was thinking about LEDs...hmm.. The cargo area isnt lit very well anyway.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm still thinking about spraying the Jeep Name ( logo) on the headliner, but I didnt have time this weekend. My current lady friend said it needs to say 4X4, or ZJ and the Jeep logo over the cargo area, in red. ( the body color) . Then I was thinking about LEDs...hmm.. The cargo area isnt lit very well anyway.
I like the way you're thinking!
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #34
BigJohn96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Ive always wanted to fiberglass mine and make it super smooth then paint it super gloss black with a big white JEEP logo smack dab in the middle of it.
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #35
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Well, drove it today after spraying bedliner on the headliner fiberglass. So far, I love it. The good news is... I dont have to deal with a sagging headliner fabric ever again ! It's a Jeep, not some old lady's caddy...and so far, I like the look. Clean, simple...neat, tidy.

Unread 06-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #36
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Well, drove it today after spraying bedliner on the headliner fiberglass. So far, I love it. The good news is... I dont have to deal with a sagging headliner fabric ever again ! It's a Jeep, not some old lady's caddy...and so far, I like the look. Clean, simple...neat, tidy.
Can you upload pics?
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #37
svons7
1996 ZJ 

yes we all want to see pics!
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

svons7,

Thanks for the great write up. I look forward to doing this to my wife's ZJ this summer. I also appreciate the advice on "Bed liner spray." I think that is the way I am going to go. Oldfrog, can't wait to see those photos. Oh, one questions, does that bed liner smell bad in your vehicle?

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #39
svons7
1996 ZJ 

I just did my floors in bed liner. It smelled pretty bad for a few days but i left it in the garage with the windows down. It is mostly gone now but it has been about 2 weeks.
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #40
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

The smell isnt too bad. I left the windows cracked a bit overnight. I'll try to get some pics taken this week. A tip: Dont even try to get the glue off of the overhead console after removing that nasty, 16 yr old fabric. Just use a shop vac and a brass wire brush to remove the foam backing. ( after taking the console apart)...then spray it with bedliner. The glue was applied by a machine and it created a nice pattern.

Unread 08-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #41
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Soo I began this project on Saturday and will be wrapping it up tonight, rain yesterday screwed me... I am bed liner-ing the headliner, don't think it's gonna hold up to great over time, I assumed we had a fiberglass piece up there and not cardboard!!! When removing all of the nasty sticky foam some of the cardboard peeled off with it and it just doesn't look how I imagine it would. But better than the fabric on your head, plush drilled for roof power while I had it out so good project all the same.

My question is this, when I removed the overhead console I got a ton of relays clicking behind the glove box and the radio/heater/and information center won't work. Now when I hook everything backup do I need to just disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset all that and get rid of the solid security light that's on?
image-319005838.jpg

image-948795581.jpg

image-271729185.jpg

Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #42
svons7
1996 ZJ 

Proph2010, Sounds like you have a short somewhere - I can't say i ran into any issues like this during the removal and installation of any of the parts. I would verify none of the wiring in the console is cut or potentially became exposed during the removal and might be grounding on the roof. Other wise maybe check out your fuses. Or it could be something to do with the wiring you installed for your aux lights.
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #43
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Hmmm, that's great... I don't believe it's a short/ground out issue, it happened a soon as I removed the rear plug from the overhead console, might have blown a fuse I suppose but I haven't checked... I was hopping it was pretty standard and the overhead co sole just had to be in circuit for those things to work. Or perhaps mine is different because my security light is on, power locks don't work, and again nothing on the center console had power ie radio etc.
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
svons7
1996 ZJ 

Well now that i think about it im not sure if those things worked with mine out because i didn't actually put the keys in while i had it all apart. Potentially they might have been off also but i think it is unlikely for that being unplugged to cause all of those issues. Check those fuses!
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #45
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

No fuses blown... Frustrated now because i can't find a problem that causing it. The any fuse that can be pulled that's stops the relay behind the dash from constantly clicking is I.O.D. Under the hood's relay box. Fuse is fine a pulling it does nothing to solve the problem. Again no interior lights, radio, heater controls, info center, or power locks. The vehicle will start. But security light is on solid. When key in "run" relay clicking stops as well however if the key is out it clicks.

This is the relay going nuts...
image-1750512609.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.