Headliner replacement Guide - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headliner replacement Guide

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
TeamMC
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svons7
yea that is the one i was thinking of. i think it turned out pretty well
Thanks. I really like the look better than the fabric.
If anyone does do this make sure you can keep your windows down after re installing the headliner. It will smell really bad for a couple of Weeks. Or just leave the headliner out for a couple of Weeks.

TeamMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

If I can't find a good headliner at the junk yard, may have to go the bedliner route. Does it retain heat in the summer?
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
svons7
1996 ZJ 

i think you might be hard pressed to find a decent headliner at the junkyard. If you wanted to go for the stock look i would just buy the fabric and re-adheisve it yourself. But the bedliner probably would look as good and be much easier
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
Kur
1998 ZJ 

I'm kinda digging the spartan, utilitarian, look of the ceiling with the headliner removed! I am kinda wanting to just bedliner the bare ceiling! Anybody got any pics of that?
Kur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #20
svons7
1996 ZJ 

above i post one of just the ceiling but no spray. i think that fiber glass piece provides a lot of insulation though. im not sure how it would fare without that 1-2 inches of fiberglass and the air in between
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #21
Kur
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svons7 View Post
above i post one of just the ceiling but no spray. i think that fiber glass piece provides a lot of insulation though. im not sure how it would fare without that 1-2 inches of fiberglass and the air in between
I've seen some spray on sound and heat insulation undercarriage stuff that is supposed to work pretty well, and it is paintable. I am wondering how it would work out to use some of that then spray bedliner over it..
Kur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #22
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Any feedback on how successful this is over time? I have re-done the headliner in my Cherokee twice and it needs another go. Never seems to last much longer than 18 months. Getting the right adhesives is hard due to European laws so I want bring some "Good Stuff" that will stand the test of time the next time i head over to Sweden. My ZJ needs the headlining done so I would use this as my trial.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Hey, this is a great writeup and I think I really like the material method over the spray method. I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if it might be easier if you had a roller to roll the material on after you sprayed the headliner and the material? I'd also be curious just how awesome it would be to use Monsta-Liner since they now offer colors!

Unread 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
svons7
1996 ZJ 

Jt - I have not had any issues with my headliner coming off since I have done this. I was fairly generous with the 3m headliner spray.

Monkey house - I'm not sure how you would fair using a roller. I would spray the adhesive on in 2 foot sections starting from the front and moving down folding the headliner over as it shows in the pictures. Might be worth trying out your way though of you think it will work well
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Thanks Svons7. I followed the process about 2 months ago and it has worked fantastic. I bought more headliner and more adhesive and will do by he Cherokee later this month - hope for the 3rd and last time...;-)
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #26
svons7
1996 ZJ 

Haha 3rd times a charm. I'm glad to hear the other one is doing well though. Good luck!
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

I think the difference is the adhesive. I am using 3m stuff (76 I think). I have a couple of cans in my suit case hoping that the airport officials don't get to frisky with me.
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #28
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kur View Post
I'm kinda digging the spartan, utilitarian, look of the ceiling with the headliner removed! I am kinda wanting to just bedliner the bare ceiling! Anybody got any pics of that?
I was wondering about this too, I think anything to keep it quiet would be a good idea. I gotta look for more options with foam/insulation!
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svons7 View Post
Jt - I have not had any issues with my headliner coming off since I have done this. I was fairly generous with the 3m headliner spray.

Monkey house - I'm not sure how you would fair using a roller. I would spray the adhesive on in 2 foot sections starting from the front and moving down folding the headliner over as it shows in the pictures. Might be worth trying out your way though of you think it will work well
Oh, ok. I only mentioned the roller because I thought somewhere you said you had a little trouble with the fabric in some spots. I didn't mean roll on the glue, just using a roller on top of the fabric, not actually touching glue. Great writeup though, really like it!
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

This past weekend, I opted for spraying bedliner on the headliner. I used the shop vac/small wire brush method to remove the old headliner backing material. I also ripped that nasty old fabric from the visors and overhead console. 'Sprayed the outside piece of the OC with bedliner too.

So far, I like the clean look, but I may go back and paint it grey...who knows? Time will tell.

Havent decided what to do with the visors. For now, I'll just reinstall them without the fabric....which looks pretty bad.

It's going to be nice being able to drive with a window down today. With that sagging headliner, I couldnt do that before. ( you guys know what I'm talking about, if your headliner is starting to come down )
I crave fresh air and sunshine anyway. That's the reason I buy Jeeps in the first place !

Before I reinstalled the headliner itself, I took a marker to the topside and told the story of my ZJ's history since the day I bought it. Mentioned the states it's visited, the duck and deer hunts, the boats it's pulled, the beaches it's driven on, saltwater fishing trips, the number of girlfriends and wives it's survived...etc. Told the mileage as of right now, the fact that nothing but Castrol has been used in it and a few other tidbits, including the fact that if someone was reading it, I'm probably dead because I have no intention of selling it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.