Headliner replacement Guide - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headliner replacement Guide

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
svons7
1996 ZJ 

Headliner replacement Guide

hello, i have been looking to do this for awhile and i have found a couple good threads but some were lacking some of the pictures or information i was looking for before starting this project so i figured i would go ahead and do it myself and make a short write up on how to do it. The task seemed somewhat daunting at first but once you get started replacing the headliner wasn't too hard on my 96 zj.

Starting off i made a run to joann fabrics and picked up the material i chose for the headliner. I went with one of the cheaper ones i could find for around $10 a yard and ended up buying 4 yards, honestly you can get away with 3 but i didnt have the exact measurement on the length and didn't want to risk it being short
http://www.joann.com/home-decor-sign...ck/xprd780305/
that is a link to one very similar to what i bought. it was some sort of vinyl material
whatever you go with make sure it is 54 inches wide

After the fabric was bought i stopped by autozone and bought 3 cans of 3m Headliner adhesive for 15.99 a piece. I originally bought 2 and potentially it can be done with 2 but went back for a 3rd can about half way through the process because i did not want to run out.

So those are pretty much the supplies you need to get, everything else that is required you most likely already have in your garage like a shopvac, size 20 or 13/16 socket, Phillips head screw driver and im not sure what size but a torx head driver
here is a pic of the one that fit for me it shows as cr-vt25

starting off here is what the headliner originally looked like, ha you can see where i had used thumbtacks in the front to reduce sagging until i could finally get around to doing this.

the first thing i did was go around and remove all of the visors and handles using the torx driver

on the back handles their is a little plastic cover over a 3rd screw that you need to remove to get to the head of it

Next i removed the center console by first unscrewing the phillips head screw located at the front of it

once that is removed you will see the front start to hang down, the back part of the console is held on by like clips and you can slide it forward or backwards and it will slide or kind of pop off

here is a picture of what they look like

once that was removed i went to the back of the jeep
and started removing the plastic that was screwed in along the tailgate edge

this had 2 screws, one on each end and three clips in the middle that just pop out. i didn't realize this until it was too late but their are also 2 screws inside the rear light that you would have to remove the clear plastic cover to get to, i ended up breaking the part that attaches to the light because i thought it was just going to pop off to separate

after this piece was removed i used my 13/16 socket to remove all of the seat belts, i think a size 20 might have worked better but the biggest i had was a 19.
once they were removed i began popping off all of the plastic pillars that support the headliner piece up. Their are no screws involved with these they all use clips that look like this. I found its best to grab from either the top or bottom with a hand on the left and right side and slowly just pry it off. Dont forget to also remove the clips located in the center of the headliner in the back. i started them with a flat head screw driver and used pliers or just my hands to pull them the rest of the way

once all of them are removed the headliner should begin to separate from the roof and fall down. you then can maneuver it out of the back of the jeep.

for those interested here is what the jeep looked like without any headliner

Here is the headliner removed from the jeep. Once it was out i just peeled off the old fabric

Once it was off i began to clean the old foam off the of fiberglass piece. I used a vacuum and just use the hose to rub off the foam while sucking it up

some people say they rub the foam off and i tried this but i found that the vacuum seemed to get more off.

once it was complete i did run my hand (in a glove of course) over pretty much the whole thing while it was on its side to clear off any loose debris the vacuum missed. and ended up with

Once that was completed i grabbed my fabric and placed it over the top of the fiberglass piece and lined everything up. i left about 6 inches hanging off the front and back ends
and the width was perfect at 54 inches

i started at the front of the piece by folding the material over onto itself and applying the 3m adhesive to the fiberglass and to the material

then i pushed all of the material into place starting in and flattening it out towards the edges. The front i found to be the hardest because of the contours on the fiberglass

once this had dried for like 10 minutes i folded the material over itself again so now it is hanging off of the front of the piece and i would spray the adhesive in 3 foot increments spraying both the fiberglass and the fabric

i did this all the way down and ended up with

sorry that material didn't photograph well because it was dark when i was taking those last pictures

I will be finishing it today, what remains it cutting the edges of the material around the fiber glass and using an exacto knife to cut out the whole in the material for the handles and visors etc.

i will post pictures of the finished project tonight or tomorrow.

I hope this inspires you to fix yours because it really isn't too bad once you get started

feel free to ask any questions!!

Unread 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

3m spray glue and bare feet lol.
The only thing i don't like is how itchy that crap is, so wear long sleeves is my advise, and SHOES
Otherwise well done, waiting for finished product pictures..
Unread 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
svons7
1996 ZJ 

ha yea, it didn't bother my feet too much, but long sleeves would have been a smart precaution. i Hope to have them posted tonight or tomorrow.
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I know I will be doing this soon I dont have one in right now. Roof gets hot in the sun. Got it in the shed. Nothing like the headliner on the top of your head while your driveing lol.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

Nice write up. The photos are a help as well. I may give this a try soon. Did you have anyone to help you or was it totally a "one man show"?
greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
phbrown
1994 ZJ 

good job!
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
svons7
1996 ZJ 

okay, continuing from the other day..
I flipped the headliner over and finished trimming the edges of the now that it was attached to the fiberglass piece.
once they were all trimmed and the proper holes for things like handles and visors were cut out i folded the edges over and used my spray adhesive to attach the vinyl so that it would fold over the edges and give it a nice appearance. i didnt notice that it was like this on the original fabric but i figured while i was doing it i might as well put a little extra work into it so that it would give a a nice appearance. This was more tedious than anything.
And the curved parts of the fiberglass i would have to cut a line into the curve (Im not sure if that makes sense) but you can see the triangle like pieces that are attached to the topside of the fiberglass piece

now the headliner is pretty much complete but i wanted some of the accessories to look a little nicer so i decided to do some work on those. The first piece i looked at was the overhead console. it also had that old gray fabric and just was not very visually appealing.

i started by unscrewing all of the screws along the inside of the console, their were around 20ish. Once they were all out you can remove the light fixtures and the controls for your mpg stuff if you have them. Once that stuff was out the part that holds the sunglasses and everything along the center of the console was able to kind of pop out to separate. Once this is completed to can easily begin ripping off the old fabric and rubbing off the previous adhesive in pretty much the same manner of the headliner. Once it was cleaned to the best of my ability by just rubbing it was ready to paint.

So along with the center console decided to paint the handles, visor clips and the back clip things that push into the headliner. i ended up using a spary-on truck bed liner from autozone that i have used on previous projects

While i was waiting for this to dry i went ahead and maneuvered the headliner into place and used the plastic pillar pieces to hold it into position

Once the console and handles dried they ended up looking like this. You can see it has somewhat of a textured look and also some of the old adhesive that wouldnt remove kind of shows through but i dont think it looks bad. I thought about trying to use that fabric around the edge but it would have been very difficult for my level of fabric working ha and i think it wouldn't have lasted as long as i know this spray on liner will

okay so now that everything is done its ready to all be assembled. Everything went together very well and i am very pleased with the turn out.

here is a before and after

the only downfall to not using a fabric on the console is that you can see a tiny space between it and the headliner that the fabric would have filled, but this is only really noticeable from a direct side view with your head touching the ceiling

Overall it was a solid like 6 hours of work not including drying time, it was much easier then i thought it was going to be, even more so getting it out the more difficult/ time consuming part was prepping the headline so it was ready for the new fabric.
If i could do it again i would potentially go with a rubberized spray on bed liner just because it would be easier, probably provide better insulation, last forever and i would never have to worry about it dropping. So far this seems to be on their pretty well and i hope it last awhile.

i think i will end up buying black visors or potentially getting my current ones reupholstered. I am also contemplating painting the gray pillars the same color as the other plastics used in the interior

so now that you know how easy it is go do it!!
Unread 09-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
davidmatlack
1996 ZJ 

Nice Job! However I had local guy replace.

Wow. I had local guy replace my headliner for $160. Exact fabric match- Looks like a factory job but I have to hand it to you- Class job!!!
davidmatlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
svons7
1996 ZJ 

Thanks. For the time spent 160 sounds about right
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Ive contemplated replace my drooping headlive and carpet with bedliner but im unsure whether it would look too rednecky or trashy... i definitely like that you did it to the handles and overhead, that is pretty damn cool...
Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
booked101
1997 ZJ 

hmmmm, I wonder how bed liner would look sprayed on the headliner. I may do that.
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
svons7
1996 ZJ 

okay look at the center console i painted. i used a spray on bedliner from autozone and i think that is my favorite part of the whole thing. IF i could do it again i would really contemplate spraying the whole headliner piece with bedliner because it was would be cheap and so much less tidious then attaching that new fabric for the headliner. On the other hand the fabric does give it a nice look.
I have seen another thread where someone actually sprayed the whole fiberglass piece with bedliner

this has some pics of a xj

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...dliner-890996/

it looks okay. i saw a zj with it that looked alot better though.
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
svons7
1996 ZJ 

haha i liked it so much i decided to do all my cladding and grill with it as well

here is a old pic to reference
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #14
TeamMC
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booked101 View Post
hmmmm, I wonder how bed liner would look sprayed on the headliner. I may do that.
looks good to me.

TeamMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
svons7
1996 ZJ 

yea that is the one i was thinking of. i think it turned out pretty well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.