Headliner Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headliner Question

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
AveryZJ
1998 ZJ 

Nevermind I got it! You just have to tug insanely hard and the disconnect the light.

AveryZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #32
firehawk1
1997 ZJ 

The OEM headliner is starting to fall in several places on my 97 ZJ, i was thinking of removing the whole ceiling like "ZJ This" did and gluing neoprene to the fiberglass. Does anyone have any idea where to get neoprene sheets that size? Ive only been able to find it in 51" x 83".
Any ideas besides neoprene that have rubber/foam backing for some insulation and sound deadening?
firehawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #33
ZJ_This
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
I like where you put the switches zj this. I may have to relocate mine there. I want to put a cubby where I have mine now where my service 4x4 screen use to be. Cant remember what that was called before I took it out because of that defect.
Thanks, it seemed like the best place since i used the bolt holes already in the roof to run the ground wires for the lights. Think im going to get nicer switches though these seem like if i hit them too hard they will break off.

i think your talking about the VIC. im actually considering putting mine there since i have the simple non vic screen and all the bulbs are burned out anyway. That and itll keep my friends from playing with the lights in traffic
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
ZJ_This
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk1 View Post
The OEM headliner is starting to fall in several places on my 97 ZJ, i was thinking of removing the whole ceiling like "ZJ This" did and gluing neoprene to the fiberglass. Does anyone have any idea where to get neoprene sheets that size? Ive only been able to find it in 51" x 83".
Any ideas besides neoprene that have rubber/foam backing for some insulation and sound deadening?
for the price of the neoprene it would be just as expensive to pull the headliner and take it to someone to have it redone with actual headliner material.

But what you could do is find the sound deadening foam, not dynamat type stuff, and use that then cover it with whatever fabric you like.
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #35
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I looked at another 95 this morning and no gray insulation crap up top. Mine must have been replaced once before I got it. Its good to know you can do that. For added insulation. I don't think I would bother though. But in the winter with wind chill some nights were talking -32. Have to put a blanket on the motor before nightfall or the block will freeze. I live an hour from civilization. Gutta hate the days when your heat doesn't work because its too cold. Cars up here should come with woodstoves.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #36
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If you do try and use neoprene you may have trouble with regular headliner/contact adhesive bonding to the neoprene. Surf/diving shops carry neoprene adhesive but I'm not sure how cost effective it is. Grainger or other industrial supply type places may have a cheaper solution.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #37
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

I didn't see it mentioned but make sure you use actual headliner spray adhesive. It's about twice as much as regular spray adhesive, but you definitely get what you pay for here.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #38
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

^^this...

The headliner spray adhesive is made to stand up the the temperatures and moisture better than normal spray adhesive. I used the 3M adhesive. Pay for it once and be done with it...
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I think I used the autozone brand I think ill try the 3m this time. Granted I don't think much would stand up to that level of moisture. But I don't think Ill be doing that again.
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #40
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryZJ View Post
Alright I have everything out except for the trim at the very back. How do I get this taken down? I took out all of the screws but it still doesn't want to come down. Any help?
Did you get the screw behind the dome light? You have to pop the lens off and there is a screw behind the light.

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

It has clips that hold it up like in the front around the windshield.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #42
AveryZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6

Did you get the screw behind the dome light? You have to pop the lens off and there is a screw behind the light.
Sorry I posted that I got it out right after I posted that question. Thanks though.
AveryZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.