Headliner Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headliner Question

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
AveryZJ
1998 ZJ 

Headliner Question

I will be replacing the headliner in my jeep pretty soon and the material I am using for the new headliner has no foam backing. I was wondering if this would be a problem? Also since I was looking at some insulation type materials, would reflective insulation (typically used in houses) work well to keep the jeep from getting so hot?

AveryZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I thought of using that housing permaboard too......until I realized that it's HIGHLY flammable. Having hot melted styrofoam dripping on my head just isnt something that gets me excited ...so I opted not to add it. In fact, I just removed the headliner itself, removed the material and foam using a shop vac, then sprayed truck bed liner on it. It's neat, clean and will never come down again. I should have done it years ago. I like the clean look and so does everyone who's seen it. I even removed the material from the visors ( then left them alone) and the overhead console....and sprayed bedliner on the edge of it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Any pictures of that headliner/bedliner job Oldfrog? Sounds pretty sweet!
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

You don't need a foam backing. I used real tree cammo fabric. Looks badass. But Its falling down now because I left a pan of coolant in the back while I was working on another car on a hot week. moisture sucks for headliners. insulation doesn't do much def wont keep heat out perhaps in if your vehicle is airtight. But then theres so many other gaps.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Regular headliner material has the foam on it partly because it gives the spray adhesive something to stick too without messing up the fabric. If you just put cloth on the headliner you need to be careful not to use too much adhesive or it will bleed through the cloth and look like crap. You can do it and a lot of custom car shops do it all day long but you have to be good with the adhesive. Why do you want to use regular cloth? Headliner material is pretty cheap and works pretty well.

Having driven a black car in Texas with and without the headliner I can say that the regular headliner does cut down on the amount of heat coming through the roof. Way hotter without the headliner. It's not so much the insulation though as it is a radiant barrier. You can probably find radiant barrier like thin aluminized mylar for pretty cheap online. I'm not sure it would help much but it wouldn't hurt.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
AveryZJ
1998 ZJ 

I'm using a vinyl that matches the interior such as the dashboard and console. So I'm not worried about it bleeding through. I just wanted to know if the reflective insulation would work at all. They have some for pretty cheap at lowes.
AveryZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Would be interesting to take before and after temps. I didn't notice any difference but I live in maine.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Use Dynamat, it makes a HUGE difference, both in the summer and winter.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

I took my headliner board out of the ZJ, took it to an upholstery shop, and they did the replacement of the fabric with standard headliner foam backed material. I considered vinyl or bedliner, but I like the sound absorption of the fabric headliner is not negligible.

The shop did a great job of applying the fabric smoothly over all the contours that the headliner board has, especially in a sunroof equipped GC. Charged me $80.

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I compared my 98 5.9 to the 95 5.2 one having stock headliner the other having my camo headliner. There is no difference in temp in the sun or sound when raining. The feel of the cushion is the only difference. It does the same without the thin layer of foam. Its just a spray on backing. I spent 18$ doing mine. I don't think I would bother spending 80$ Seems like I could spend that on gas or a part or a tire. Who knows maybe Chinese food.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I was thinking of running another test on the 95 adding a layer of rubberized coating to the roof. Which I wouldn't do because I would hate to cut my head on a bare roof. But maybe then apply the headliner. The thing to remember is that the back of the board is insulated. With that gray dryer lint looking crap. So the yellow crap doesn't do much of anything.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
I compared my 98 5.9 to the 95 5.2 one having stock headliner the other having my camo headliner. There is no difference in temp in the sun or sound when raining. The feel of the cushion is the only difference. It does the same without the thin layer of foam. Its just a spray on backing. I spent 18$ doing mine. I don't think I would bother spending 80$ Seems like I could spend that on gas or a part or a tire. Who knows maybe Chinese food.
It's not that the headliner blocks sound from coming in from the roof, so rain isn't the issue. It's that having a fabric covered headliner means one less hard surface inside the interior space. There's a really geeky PDF research study I could link to here that shows having a "soft" headliner versus a "hard" headliner decreases interior sound levels by 30%. But it's not by blocking sound from getting in, since your roof is not a major source for noise. It's effective because it absorbs sound, reducing the effect of your interior being a big echo chamber.

I know the fabric headliner is a little more expensive compard to a can of bedliner, and to some it may not have the right amount of "rough and tumble" image for your Jeep. To each his own. I'll give up a few nights of chinese food to drop the decibel level inside my 5.9 by 30%.

77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Lol. I highly doubt its 30%. I don't have a spray on I have cloth. I can see with no headliner there being sound. like yelling into a cookie sheet. But im pretty sure as long as you have the headliner and the backing with the gray insulation up top your not getting a 30% increase. I mean you have windows. Unless you have supersonic hearing your not going to notice. You also have a sunroof. right above your head. Its most likely a 0.8 or 0.4 increase that I would believe. Your research sounds like a dirty joke I heard once. I cant tell a difference in the noise level in either jeeps. Other than when its running my 5.2 has a Flowmaster Exhaust. My 5.9 is stock. Only for a short time. All the research is out the window if one is open or the radio is on anyways. Who drives down the road in complete silence. I can see if you drive a bmw or a audi but its a jeep. Its suppose to look badass not like a old couple own it and take it once a year to the grocery store. But to each his own. Mine came out nice looked professional didn't look rough at all. couldn't really tell the yellow crap wasn't there unless you touched it.
I suppose if I had 80$ to give away I might do it so I didn't have to do it myself. But Im not in the habbit of throwing away money that could go to something else cool.
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
The thing to remember is that the back of the board is insulated. With that gray dryer lint looking crap.
Nope.

I just put my board back in a few weeks ago. Back of the headliner fiberglass board is not insulated.

Yes, you're always going to have the hard reflective surface of the windows. So does every vehicle on the road. So what. Having a hard surface on the headliner would more than double the hard surface inside the vehicle.

Seriously, $80 is going to kill your budget? Sounds like you're having to invest time/effort/money a second time because your solution failed.

77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Also, reguardless of whether you choose foam backed or plain fabric, make sure that it has some ability to stretch. After I took my headliner out, I came to the realization that it is far from flat. If you want the material to lay on smoothly without creases or wrinkles, it will have to stretch into places around the sun visors, sun roof and the OS handles. Before you spray the adhesive, lay the material on board and try to push it into all of the indentions smoothly.

Don't forget to cover the sunvisors to match.

I agree with leftfield, my headliner board did not have any insulation on top. Maybe different years used different boards...1998 vs 1995.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.