Headliner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headliner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
gingerbreadman1
1995 ZJ 

Headliner

I want to re upholster my headliner. i want to do realtree AP camo. now ive never done this before. i dont know whats the best type of glue or fabric. http://www.joann.com/realtree-ap-twi...prd_01237056a/ this is 100% cotton so i didnt know if thats a good idea. http://www.lurasfabricshop.com/camo3...hed-twill.html this is a cotton denim i didnt know if this would be too heavy. if you know of any other fabrics that are better please send me the link. also please let me know what the best type of glue is. i want to get this done asap. thank you

gingerbreadman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
NYCXJ90
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I did a cotton backed vinyl on my xj about 7 years ago. it was a lot heavier than the stock fabric. I used 3M vinyl top adhesive (like 3m 8090). Still holding it up there.

Go with the thicker material, it will be less likely to bleed through the fabric.
NYPD Jeep Club Member #2
Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #3
So I tell the swampdonkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and I have her lick me yardballs.
NYCXJ90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
x1n54n3x
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I also need to do my headliner (pup took it down) but I was wondering if you have the dimensions needed or if you were just going to measure as you went?
x1n54n3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

I did my headliner a few weeks back using one from WWW.wlsheadliners.com. mine has worked spectacularly well and so I ordered another one for my XJ. The material isn't like anything I could find in any of the local fabric shops. I ordered the upgrade on the adhesive just to be sure as temps here get real hot and will test most adhesives. All I paid around $100 and it took less that 3 hours from start to finish.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
...less that 3 hours from start to finish.
Great color selection.

How long does it take for the glue to set before it can be put back together?

Care to post a couple of pics of yours that shows the material?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

headliner replace

I did what alot of people did on here and took mine off, tore off material, sanded off foam, and rubber coated then truck bed linered the pad. So far it has worked good.
lawsonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

JoAnn's Fabric also sells foam backed headliner material. It took three yards (60" width) to cover the entire headliner and I bought an extra yard to make sure that I had enough for my sunvisors and sunroof shade but ended up with lots of extra. They had different colors of gray and tan that would match most Jeeps. I think that it was on sale for $10.99/yard. I used the 3M spray adhesive which is made for headliners that I got at Advanced Auto. It is not very difficult and there are plenty of videos on Youtube that show how to do it. Total cost was around $75 and it looks great.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post

Great color selection.

How long does it take for the glue to set before it can be put back together?

Care to post a couple of pics of yours that shows the material?
The stuff I used is backed with a rough looking foam. I tried to upload some photos but it says my file sizes are to big and I ain't sure how to reduce them. I can pm them if you like. The glue is dried pretty quick. I had a beer between finishing the gluing and starting the installation.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
gingerbreadman1
1995 ZJ 

Worked out great. I used fabric from real tree.com and a spray adhesive. It looks awesome. And I didn't the overhead console trim as well... not the visors tho
gingerbreadman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonej
I did what alot of people did on here and took mine off, tore off material, sanded off foam, and rubber coated then truck bed linered the pad. So far it has worked good.
This is what I'm wanting to do...

So you rubber coated it first??? I would have thought any of the truck bed liners would be all that's used. What's the reason to rubber coat it first?
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Great thread. This is something I really want to do, but I figured it would be pretty hard. Sounds like I'm wrong there.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
This is what I'm wanting to do...

So you rubber coated it first??? I would have thought any of the truck bed liners would be all that's used. What's the reason to rubber coat it first?
I rubber coated it for three reasons, 1) i thought i would help isolate sound (wouldnt know if it actually did) 2) thought it would better cover fiberglass strands. 3 Rubber coating is cheaper than a can of nice bed liner. Overall, i dont see it as necessary for the finished project. Your perfectly fine skipping the rubber coating, it just saved my like 7 bucks for about the same finished project. Good luck
lawsonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonej View Post
I rubber coated it for three reasons, 1) i thought i would help isolate sound (wouldnt know if it actually did) 2) thought it would better cover fiberglass strands. 3 Rubber coating is cheaper than a can of nice bed liner. Overall, i dont see it as necessary for the finished project. Your perfectly fine skipping the rubber coating, it just saved my like 7 bucks for about the same finished project. Good luck
This is going to be a late summer/fall project for me.

What did you do about the visors? And do you have a sunroof? If so, how'd you do the lining on the part that slides on the sunroof?

Also, have you noticed any sagging because of weight???
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
SCZJ

1994 ZJ 

Great write-up right here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...guide-1416673/

About to attempt this myself and want to use a different design as well.
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

gotta do this soon, windows down summer driving is not good on my saggy headliner

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.