JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Headliner (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/headliner-1522292/)

gingerbreadman1 05-12-2013 10:23 AM

Headliner

I want to re upholster my headliner. i want to do realtree AP camo. now ive never done this before. i dont know whats the best type of glue or fabric. http://www.joann.com/realtree-ap-twi...prd_01237056a/ this is 100% cotton so i didnt know if thats a good idea. http://www.lurasfabricshop.com/camo3...hed-twill.html this is a cotton denim i didnt know if this would be too heavy. if you know of any other fabrics that are better please send me the link. also please let me know what the best type of glue is. i want to get this done asap. thank you

NYCXJ90 05-12-2013 11:39 AM

I did a cotton backed vinyl on my xj about 7 years ago. it was a lot heavier than the stock fabric. I used 3M vinyl top adhesive (like 3m 8090). Still holding it up there.

Go with the thicker material, it will be less likely to bleed through the fabric.

x1n54n3x 05-12-2013 01:38 PM

I also need to do my headliner (pup took it down) but I was wondering if you have the dimensions needed or if you were just going to measure as you went?

jt_armstrong 05-12-2013 04:52 PM

I did my headliner a few weeks back using one from WWW.wlsheadliners.com. mine has worked spectacularly well and so I ordered another one for my XJ. The material isn't like anything I could find in any of the local fabric shops. I ordered the upgrade on the adhesive just to be sure as temps here get real hot and will test most adhesives. All I paid around $100 and it took less that 3 hours from start to finish.

KoreaZJ 05-13-2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt_armstrong (Post 15424392)
...less that 3 hours from start to finish.

Great color selection.

How long does it take for the glue to set before it can be put back together?

Care to post a couple of pics of yours that shows the material?

lawsonej 05-14-2013 06:06 AM

headliner replace

I did what alot of people did on here and took mine off, tore off material, sanded off foam, and rubber coated then truck bed linered the pad. So far it has worked good.

Kingr98 05-14-2013 08:08 AM

JoAnn's Fabric also sells foam backed headliner material. It took three yards (60" width) to cover the entire headliner and I bought an extra yard to make sure that I had enough for my sunvisors and sunroof shade but ended up with lots of extra. They had different colors of gray and tan that would match most Jeeps. I think that it was on sale for $10.99/yard. I used the 3M spray adhesive which is made for headliners that I got at Advanced Auto. It is not very difficult and there are plenty of videos on Youtube that show how to do it. Total cost was around $75 and it looks great.

jt_armstrong 05-14-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoreaZJ (Post 15426172)

Great color selection.

How long does it take for the glue to set before it can be put back together?

Care to post a couple of pics of yours that shows the material?

The stuff I used is backed with a rough looking foam. I tried to upload some photos but it says my file sizes are to big and I ain't sure how to reduce them. I can pm them if you like. The glue is dried pretty quick. I had a beer between finishing the gluing and starting the installation.

gingerbreadman1 06-01-2013 07:37 AM

Worked out great. I used fabric from real tree.com and a spray adhesive. It looks awesome. And I didn't the overhead console trim as well... not the visors tho

KyBoy1991 06-01-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsonej
I did what alot of people did on here and took mine off, tore off material, sanded off foam, and rubber coated then truck bed linered the pad. So far it has worked good.

This is what I'm wanting to do...

So you rubber coated it first??? I would have thought any of the truck bed liners would be all that's used. What's the reason to rubber coat it first?

monkeyhouse 06-01-2013 08:22 AM

Great thread. This is something I really want to do, but I figured it would be pretty hard. Sounds like I'm wrong there.

lawsonej 06-04-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 (Post 15506082)
This is what I'm wanting to do...

So you rubber coated it first??? I would have thought any of the truck bed liners would be all that's used. What's the reason to rubber coat it first?

I rubber coated it for three reasons, 1) i thought i would help isolate sound (wouldnt know if it actually did) 2) thought it would better cover fiberglass strands. 3 Rubber coating is cheaper than a can of nice bed liner. Overall, i dont see it as necessary for the finished project. Your perfectly fine skipping the rubber coating, it just saved my like 7 bucks for about the same finished project. Good luck

KyBoy1991 06-04-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsonej (Post 15517904)
I rubber coated it for three reasons, 1) i thought i would help isolate sound (wouldnt know if it actually did) 2) thought it would better cover fiberglass strands. 3 Rubber coating is cheaper than a can of nice bed liner. Overall, i dont see it as necessary for the finished project. Your perfectly fine skipping the rubber coating, it just saved my like 7 bucks for about the same finished project. Good luck

This is going to be a late summer/fall project for me.

What did you do about the visors? And do you have a sunroof? If so, how'd you do the lining on the part that slides on the sunroof?

Also, have you noticed any sagging because of weight???

SCZJ 06-04-2013 05:53 PM

Great write-up right here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...guide-1416673/

About to attempt this myself and want to use a different design as well.

underpowered 06-04-2013 06:25 PM

gotta do this soon, windows down summer driving is not good on my saggy headliner

The time now is 11:54 AM.