Headlights yellowing and sandblasted? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlights yellowing and sandblasted?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-27-2002, 07:16 PM   #1
Intrepidjeep

Headlights yellowing and sandblasted?

I was about to pony up some cash for replacement headlights for my yellowed & sandblasted units, but I tried a little self-help -- saved a lot of cash and they look like new! Note that you may need to do this every few months to keep them looking good. Hope this helps someone else....

Step 1: You'll need "Barkeeper's Friend", a great cleaner intended for all kinds of surfaces -- sinks, glass, plastic, tile, etc. Apply Barkeeper's Friend according to the instructions: Use a wet rag to dampen the headlight, then apply some of the Barkeeper's Friend" to the wet rag and scrub the headlight. Wipe all the residue off two or three times with a fresh wet rag. Repeat if desired.

Step 2: You'll need a good scratch remover like Kit Scratch Out (sold in a bottle). Apply Kit Scratch Out or equivalent to headlight surface, allow to dry to a haze, wipe off with a dry clean hand towel.

Step 3: Apply your favorite paste car wax to the headlight, let dry to a haze, remove with clean hand towel. Repeat if desired.

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2002, 07:42 PM   #2
boosh

i was thinking about replaceing the lights to. when you did all this did you go to the inside of the light or just on the out side

k&n gereation 2 intake and killer sound system! So far

*just totaled* 93 jeep grand cherokee
k&n gereation 2 intake, gibson exhust, low temp thermostat and killer sound system
boosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2002, 10:00 PM   #3
Intrepidjeep

Outside of the lights -- that's where the yellowing occurs.
Unread 10-04-2002, 03:13 PM   #4
grnamin

Ingredient substitutions?

Ajax for Barkeeper's Friend?
Any other scratch remover (like GS27, for instance) for Kit Scratch Out?

-Greg
Unread 10-04-2002, 03:55 PM   #5
Intrepidjeep

I think Ajax would probably be too harsh, but there still may be other substitutions. Read the label and see if the product(s) you might consider substituting are suitable for plastics.

The Barkeeper's Friend won't go to waste if you get it -- it's great for tons of different things.

As for scratch-out products, I'm sure there are plenty of others that would work fine.
Unread 10-04-2002, 04:13 PM   #6
vts

Blue Magic brand Liquid Metal Polish.

Try it, it works great.
vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2002, 09:20 PM   #7
grnamin

I found a bottle of Kit Scratch Out at the local Stop and Shop. Just two more ingredients and I'll try out the solution outlined here.
Unread 10-05-2002, 05:29 PM   #8
grnamin

Found some Barkeeper's Friend at a local hardware store. Marcus, did you remove the units from the Jeep and then clean them or did you leave them on? I wasn't able to get some haze off from the outer sections of the lamps.
Unread 10-05-2002, 07:15 PM   #9
Intrepidjeep

I left them in place and just treated the face of the lens -- that's all I noticed being yellowed. But we do have different headlights. I imagine they're easy to remove, though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.