Headlights are out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlights are out

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-21-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
Paul's GCL

Headlights are out

The Lo-beams just went out on my Jeep. Hi-beams work. I checked all fuses (even though there don't appear to be any for the headlights) bulbs check out. I get 12 Volts on the hi-beam terminal that plugs onto the headlight (red/orange wire) when the highbeams are turned on and 0 Volts on the lo-beam terminal (violet/orange wire) when the lo-beams are turned on. Where is the hi/lo beam relay located (it's called a Headlamp Dimmer Switch in the Haynes manual)? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm afraid of the dark.

Unread 08-23-2002, 02:15 PM   #2
Paul's GCL

Figured it out. You need a T20 Torx (the anti-tamper kind for some strange reason) to remove the steering column cover and headlight dimmer switch. The Headlight Dimmer Switch is located on the opposite side of the ignition key. The wiper/ emergency flasher/ blinker/ hi/lo beam switch contacts are all located in this single module. I disconnected the wiring and cleaned all of the oil from the contacts and re-assembeled. Lo-beams are now working. Hope this helps!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.