Headlights foggy on inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlights foggy on inside

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
applik

Headlights foggy on inside

We bought an 01 GC about a month ago. The dims are so bad you can't even hardly see the stripes on the road. The high beams are about like the dims on our other cars. Hubby polished up the outside of the lamps but didn't help much. They look like there is a foggy film on the inside. Can this be cleaned or is there another solution? Don't wan't to take this thing anywhere after dark til we get this resolved. Any suggestions are definitely welcome.
thanks,
Shari
We have an 01 Wrangler but needed a tad more room for the camping gear. Don't want to sell the TJ until we get the issues resolved with the WJ.

applik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Stick them in the oven for a few minute to loosen up the adhesive. Then carefully pull them apart and clean the inside of the lens. When done, stick them back in the oven for a few more minutes and then put them back together. Or, just buy a new set for about $90 from 2001 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE HEADLIGHT HEADLAMP SET 99-02,03,04 - AM Autoparts

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
applik

Ezflip,
Checked out the link. Looks like a good deal for the headlights. Are they a good source? Does anyone else have these? We could order these and buy new bulbs at autozone I would think. I'm a little nervous about putting them in the oven. I'd probably melt them down but got to do something and pretty darn quick. Want to go travelin to southern utah next week for a few days and show "Blue Thunder" (nickname for WJ) the terrain.
thanks again,
Shari
applik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by applik View Post
Ezflip,
Checked out the link. Looks like a good deal for the headlights. Are they a good source? Does anyone else have these? We could order these and buy new bulbs at autozone I would think. I'm a little nervous about putting them in the oven. I'd probably melt them down but got to do something and pretty darn quick. Want to go travelin to southern utah next week for a few days and show "Blue Thunder" (nickname for WJ) the terrain.
thanks again,
Shari
yea there a decent source it's where i got mine
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I grabbed a set from e-bay a couple of years ago for about the same price. The change over is a cinch.

Just open the hood & look for the plastic mounting tab and unbolt the screw for it. I think there's also a vertical bolt that secures the headlight housing into the frame. Remove it too. The housing then just pops out of it's socket with a little persuasion. Add some grease to the ball/socket of the new headlight housing to prevent them from siezing the next time they need to be changed.

Expect to align them afterwards.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

I just installed a new set today that I bought off ebay for my ZJ. Both headlights (with bulbs), front and side indicators with free UPS shipping. Buy it now for $89.00 with lifetime warranty for whatever that's worth. Fit perfect and what a difference it made in the Ole Girls Looks. The surprising thing is they were made in Taiwan instead of China.
IslandManMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would go with a replacement set. I'm about to do the same for my WJ, I might go with projectors though. They are all over ebay as well.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

I just test drove my new lights now that it is dark. I cannot believe the difference.
I did not realize how bad my old ones were until now.
Unread 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

Sadly it only takes a few months before they get bad again...sigh

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
i added clear silcone around the where the lenses meet? problem solved
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
If they do I will find out how good they stand behind their lifetime warranty against hazing.
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

My lights I got off ebay are around 3 years old and have no hazy in them. They were 70ish so I can't complain.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.