Headlight lens removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlight lens removal

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
CTJeeper
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Headlight lens removal

Try as I might, I have not found any instructions on how to remove and replace the headlight lenses on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Is it as simple as removing the bolt at the top on the cross member, and then yanking the unit up and out?
Or is there something holding it in place on the bottom that must be loosened or removed first. Thanks for your help!

CTJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

There is no bolt or screw to remove.
The headlight simply pops off. If it hasn't been removed in a while, it is going to be hard to remove, but it will come off.
Just grab the bottom of the housing with your fingers and snap it toward you. The bottom will pop off. Then you can snap the top off. It's held on by three snap fit ball and socket connectors.
Here's a helpful hint... Apply a this coating of lithium grease to the sockets before replacing the assembly.

BTW, why do you want to remove the housing? It's not necessary if you are needing to change the bulb...

HTH
Unread 11-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
CTJeeper
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Why I'm replacing

Over time the lens on the original unit has gotten all yellow and faded and crusty and spreads the light all over the place. The new units I'm dying to put in are crystal clear. I'm headed out to the driveway right now to try it. Wish me luck!
And thanks for your reply. I'll let you know how I make out in a little bit.
Unread 11-09-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Good luck!
Unread 11-09-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
CTJeeper
1995 XJ Cherokee 

done with it

Getting them off was a snap. Getting the new ones on was not as easy. The aftermarket units didn't snap on as easily as I had hoped. Had to be very careful to line them up and even then it wasn't easy. But it's done and it looks and works a lot better. thanks for your help!
Unread 11-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Glad they worked out for you.
Now have a beer!
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
sangfarmer
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

Valuble info

Used this guide to remove my lens and worked perfectly but you can also use a claw hammer laying on the lens horizontally and pry against the cross member to pop the top out. Be sure to check and replace your other bulbs and lubricate the adjustment screws while you have the lens out. Oldie but a goodie.
sangfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
beaver2low
1994 ZJ 

headlights with yellow tint

whats an easy way to clean up a set of headlights with a yellow tint. i am doing this on a real small budget. i heard toothpaste works. what is your suggestions.
beaver2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver2low View Post
whats an easy way to clean up a set of headlights with a yellow tint. i am doing this on a real small budget. i heard toothpaste works. what is your suggestions.
It has to be a baking soda based tooth paste. Or baking soda...

Polishing compound works.
The actual headlight restore kits are cheap too.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver2low View Post
Wet sand them, clean with nail polish remover, buff them with rubbing compound, then paint 'em with clear coat.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.