Headlight issues in my ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlight issues in my ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Flyinbrick

Headlight issues in my ZJ

Alright, I have an issue with the headlights on my 98 ZJ.

I got in to get to work this morning, turned the headlight switch, nothing.
My park lights were working. It was kind of odd that both headlights would be out at the same time, but I thought okay fine. I had a spare set of bulbs in the garage, so I quickly swapped out one side.

Still nothing, so I was getting a little worried. I checked the fuses and they looked fine (actually there didn't seem to specifically be a fuse in the kick panel for the headlights).

Anyways, so I peaked in the manual, and read something about the highbeam relay.

This gave me an idea, I flipped the highbeams on, ofcourse they lighted, then I flipped them back off, and what do you know, my lows were now lighting too.

I swapped the old bulbs back in, and they were now also working.

Is this an indication of my Highbeam relay going out or something else? Anyone else experience this before?

Thanks in advance.

Wagoneer Dana 44 Front End w/ ARB, Currie Rockjock 60 Rear w/ Detroit, 37" Baja Claws, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Competition Corners, Flat Fenders, Front Stinger, Full roll cage, GenRight Fuel Cell, Snyper Fab Rocker Skids
Flyinbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if it happens again, then yeah I wouldnt be surprised. Our model ZJ runs lots of the basic functions through the BCM (body control module) itself. I'm not sure if the headlamps run through there but I sure as hell wouldnt be surprised. If thats the case, it could have just been a little blip in the system. If it happens again, go ahead and replace the relay, it'll never hurt

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Flyinbrick

Thanks for the reply. My wife drives the ZJ frequently, and I just don't want her to be caught driving home in the dark.

I'll keep an eye on it.
Wagoneer Dana 44 Front End w/ ARB, Currie Rockjock 60 Rear w/ Detroit, 37" Baja Claws, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Competition Corners, Flat Fenders, Front Stinger, Full roll cage, GenRight Fuel Cell, Snyper Fab Rocker Skids
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinbrick View Post
This gave me an idea, I flipped the highbeams on, ofcourse they lighted, then I flipped them back off, and what do you know, my lows were now lighting too.
I'll guess the switch in the column. You moved it and now it works.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Flyinbrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post
I'll guess the switch in the column. You moved it and now it works.
Yes the switch on the column.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.