Headlight Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlight Issues

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
ddexter

Headlight Issues

Hey Guys
So here are my specs
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
V6 engine
My issue is this:
Yesterday my friend pulled the knob off of my headlight switch no biggie he didnt realize it was a turn and not a pull. So he just put the knob on the dash and turned the component inside and the headlights worked fine. Today I popped the nob back on thought no harm no foul but now my headlights arent working I turn the switch one click get nothing two clicks nothing in the front but the rear running lights come on and all the instrument panels light up like they are supposed to. Now if I pull the high beam handle the high beams come on but they dont stay on you have to physically hold the lever forward to keep the high beams on. I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine (not sure if I checked the right ones) and I cant figure out how to get into the bulb to see if they both somehow blew at the same time. Can anyone give any insight as to what the problem may be.

Thanks

Duncan

ddexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like something in the switch broke. That's my $.02. The headlights are held on my clips. It pops off of two with pressure, the other one has tabs you have to push... Good luck!
Unread 03-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
ddexter

If It Is The Switch Where Is A Good Place To Get Onto They Are 100 Bucks At AutoZone
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Psst.... It's a straight 6 and it might be mad at you for calling it a v6.

Do a search on "headlight switch repair" here on JF. There's a good write up about it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddexter View Post
If It Is The Switch Where Is A Good Place To Get Onto They Are 100 Bucks At AutoZone
Try a junkyard or eBay. I used to have an extra one somewhere...I'll take a look maybe we can work out something...
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510
Try a junkyard or eBay. I used to have an extra one somewhere...I'll take a look maybe we can work out something...
If you can't find yours, I have one that has fogs and it has recently had the board resoldered.
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
ddexter

So do we all think its the switch then? I never really got a straight answer out of aynyone and dont want to have to replace unnecessary parts

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.