headlight assembly removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > headlight assembly removal

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 11-26-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
bjr0123

headlight assembly removal

How do I remove the headlight assembly on a 97 Grand Cherokee?
The inside of the lense is filthy and reducing the light from the headlight.
I want to remove the bulb and spray the inside to clean it.....
Thanks

bjr0123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure, but later models just take the screw out and pull staight out. Hanes manual,cheap and effective

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
bjr0123

I tried that, removed the bolt on the top but the bottom of the assembly still seems to be attached somehow....
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Remove the lamp from behind. Pull straight forward on housing (its quite difficult to remove and replace). there are no bolts or screws to remove. It is much easier to get a grip if the grill and corner lamp housing are removed. A Hayne's manual might be helpful.

There are several threads on restoring headlight lenses, you might want to review them first. Most folks find that the discoloration is on the face of the lens.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthrea...eadlight+clean
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

There is a ball and socket assembly directly behind the head light. You need to pull really hard straight forward towards you. The downside of this ball and socket is that the socket snaps into pieces sometimes. Hint: do not do this on a Sunday when the dealership is closed.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
bjr0123

thanks, from reading the other thread I would suspect my problem is on the outside as well.
I think I am going to find some PlastiX and try it.
Unread 11-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Steve,
Last time I heard the rumor mill talk about those little ball and socket clips, they said that the dealership doesn't carry them separately. You would need to purchase the whole light assembly to get the clips. I have looked threw a few parts store shelves for these clips as well and cant find them and have pretty much confirmed that one.

My next step is to head to the bone yards looking for ones that aren't all ready broken! This is stupid and frustrating that nobody makes these clips!
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for that. Interesting! Yea my drivers side head light socket is broken, from me removing it. I tried to purchase a Help-Part from the local auto store, but it was not the correct part. So my head light has been loose for over a year. I have it stabilized using some semi-ridge foam. I would hate it if it was jiggling around and flickering up & down.

I am thinking of getting creative with that wrong part and trimming it with a Dremel it fit correctly.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Why not just buy new headlights anyway? I did, and I'm glad I did. Didn't have to worry about breaking any clips, and these are definitely clearer than I could have hoped to have made my old ones.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
98ZJ SFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJ SFD
Why not just buy new headlights anyway? I did, and I'm glad I did. Didn't have to worry about breaking any clips, and these are definitely clearer than I could have hoped to have made my old ones.
Were too cheap for that!

Steve,
Yea I have mine stabilized in a similar fashion for now. Drives me nuts to know its done like that, as I'm sure it dose you!
If you figure out how to make it work with that part, I'm sure plenty of us would be interested.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I just replaced the headlamp assys last Friday. One of the little plastic bastard clips is adjustable. Its nearly impossible to tell if it is lined up right before you push it on. If you remove the side marker and parking light assys, then you can sort of see what you are doing. If you adjust the lamps, be sure to spray PB blaster down the adjuster or you strip out the assy. What a POS. Really.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

That's the thing with the aftermarkets, they don't seem to fit as well as the stockers. One of my adjusters broke, and I have to re-aim my lights since they're pointed right at the ground. The one with the broken adjuster doesn't seem to want to stay up, what stuff did you guys use to make it stay up? Does that affect your ability to take the headlights out again?

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
98ZJ SFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #13
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
That's the thing with the aftermarkets, they don't seem to fit as well as the stockers. One of my adjusters broke, and I have to re-aim my lights since they're pointed right at the ground. The one with the broken adjuster doesn't seem to want to stay up, what stuff did you guys use to make it stay up? Does that affect your ability to take the headlights out again?
The adjuster screws will not move on their own. So you must have broken one or more of the clips and now it won't hold the headlamp assy. Maybe you didn't press the lamp on the whole way. You must hear and feel 3 snaps on each lamp. If you pull the headlamp assy in an out, its only a matter of time until all the clips will break. Been there done that. What I did is take an old radiator hose and cut up 1" x 2" strips, and then shimmed the headlamp assys top and bottom. Very ghetto I know. But I drove it like that for years. I was constantly having to adjust the shims though.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

I just used some foam packing material that a set of old speakers came in. I used a large enough chunk and formed it to fit the area, then I took a few dabs of clear silicone to hold it all in place. The light doesn't get hot enough to melt the foam. with the silicone the light doesn't bounce around. Is ghetto still a politically correct term?
Joe Biden
Unread 11-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #15
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Steve,
Get on that research and development. The free market is calling you! from the sound of it you have a few sets of these clips sold on this thread alone!
Will help ease the beer budget!

budget, who is that "bud" guy anyway, and why is he always messing with my money? He really needs to get a job and leave my stack alone! If I ever get a hold of him, he will have some explaining to do!

Joe Biden

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.