headlamp fog removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > headlamp fog removal

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
nickaplease03
2002 WJ 

headlamp fog removal

I just had a quick tip for TEMPORARY removal of the infamous fog/haze on the headlights.

Use a little bit of motor oil (wd-40 works too) on a rag to buff out the haze. Works great for a few days, then needs to be repeated. Has something to do with the oil filling in the cracks on the plastic/glass gives the illusion of a smooth surface.

Any other tips for clearing up this haze?

nickaplease03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickaplease03 View Post
I just had a quick tip for TEMPORARY removal of the infamous fog/haze on the headlights.

Use a little bit of motor oil (wd-40 works too) on a rag to buff out the haze. Works great for a few days, then needs to be repeated. Has something to do with the oil filling in the cracks on the plastic/glass gives the illusion of a smooth surface.

Any other tips for clearing up this haze?
you can try a clear coat paint. It will do the same thing as wd40 with respect to filling in the cracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
kidA
1996 ZJ 

toothpaste
kidA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

wet sanding seems to be the best method followed my some polishing compound
Unread 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

replacement works the best that I've found..... I tried wet sanding and buffing, I tried plastic polish, I tried Toothpaste, oil actually dries the lenses out and makes them brittle after time.

Traded away the WJ to get a commuter

We finally got another Jeep after 5 years without. Too bad it's ALL stock.
MeWJWifeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
99jeepercreeper
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidA View Post
toothpaste
Toothpaste + Peanut Butter (about 50/50) + a touch of water...

Mix it up, get some 2k grit sand paper, and apply.

It clumps up and doesnt seem to "spread" on the headlight, but it will still work. It's the wet sanding and the moisture left from the mixture that works. At least it did for me. For denser fog use a lower grit paper, like 600 or 1k.
Good luck.
99jeepercreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
99jeepercreeper
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidA View Post
toothpaste
Toothpaste + Peanut Butter (about 50/50) + a touch of water...

Mix it up, get some 2k grit sand paper, and apply.

It clumps up and doesnt seem to "spread" on the headlight, but it will still work. It's the wet sanding and the moisture left from the mixture that works. At least it did for me. For denser fog use a lower grit paper, like 600 or 1k. Then add some wax or some people have had luck with some armor-all products.
Good Luck.
99jeepercreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
cirame1
1998 ZJ 

i just bought this compound in a blue bottle at auto zone the other day said removes headlight yellowness and hazyness. put some on a rag and rubbed in for a minute then rubbed off with another rag and it took all the yellowish and haze off almost looks brand new again. was like 5 bux or sumthin on the end of the aisle.
cirame1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.