Headaches removing bumper and headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headaches removing bumper and headlights

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
BPF317
1997 ZJ 

Headaches removing bumper and headlights

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2L

I am a first time Jeep owner and am absolutely in love with my ZJ. When I bought it I noticed that the drivers side front turn lamp (L shaped on bottom) was broken. I just though it got bumped in the dealership. Yesterday I was able to remove the side lamp and grille. It appears there was some damage to the bumper underneath the fascia bumper (which now moves freely around).

So here are my question...
Does anyone have a drawing of the grille, headlights and bumper assembly (or easy to follow instructions for removal and replacement)?

Other than the black plastic assembly behind the grille being broken it looks like the grey plastic that the headlights bolt into also has some damage and needs to be replaced.

And last of all... even though the bumper is free to move around I cannot separate it from the Jeep due to the two metal rods (that I assume are for brush guard assemblies). On the end of these metal rods there are metal "faceplates" that will not let the bumper just slide of the rod.

Here are links to the broken light and metal rod faceplate.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8H7...9QMWdKMWs/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8H7...VObG8zVUk/edit

I greatly appreciate any help. I would like to do this as cleanly as possible so I can reuse any parts that may still be good on the Jeep.

Last edited by BPF317; 01-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Link to pictures
BPF317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
BPF317
1997 ZJ 

Here is the piece I need for the headlights and grille but I am still unsure on how to blot/mount the stock bumper and what parts I would need in order to do so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Headligh...127#vi-content
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

Those "rods" should unbolt from underneath and that headlight panel is the right part but beware buying aftermarket panels as they tend to not fit ask me how I know lol but it wasn't too bad its been holding up so far
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
LouC
2007 WK 

I got a replacement panel (OE) from one of the on line Chrysler dealers for about 170 or so, I also heard the aftermarket ones don't fit well. Depending on how busted up it is, I have fixed these before with 3M Structural Adhesive, it is a 2 part glue for plastic parts that works great. You can get it at body parts supply stores.
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

This video will show you how to remove the headlights.

Here's a link to the Header Panel

Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Headlight Kit

Grand Cherokee Headlights

New Jeep Grand Cherokee Grill

Jeep Grand Cherokee Grill

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
LouC
2007 WK 

To remove the bumper, you need to remove the grille first (open the hood, 2 screws are on top, 2 are in the grille). Then remove the front signal lamps, in the vid above they remove the marker lights, the bumper is easier to remove if you remove the signal lamp using the same torx screwdriver. Now the bumper is held on by a bunch of plastic rivets, some on top, some on the bottom and some in the front wheelwells. Some of them can be re-used if you are careful when you remove them. The bumper is held on by some clips that stick up under those signal lights, thats why I said to remove em. There is a slot on the top edge of the bumper, that goes UNDER that light that fits into the clip. Yours is broken on one side in the pic, I fixed that with the same 3M structural adhesive. You have to lift the bumper up and slide it off those clips. Removing the black piece that all the lights fit into is a bunch more screws. Its kind of a pain but not really difficult.
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
BPF317
1997 ZJ 

That is great info.

So if I buy that aftermarket piece I may have to do so fabricating of my own?

Are those plastic rivets are the only things holding on the bumper? I was just going to use black zip ties for the mounts in the wheel well. Do you happen to know what replacement rivets are used (if I was to buy them from a parts store)?
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

It's really the plastic rivets on the top edge of the bumper, under the grille and the ones on the very bottom edge if the bumper that hold it on. Take a couple to a body shop supply store , they can sell you a box of them, they are pricey at the dealer. There are literally 10-15 different types of these fasteners used today, so you just have to take one off and match it up, but a body shop supply store is the best place in my experience to get em. Also those hooks under the turn signal lights keep it from moving. You have to lift it up and over them . I would not bother with an aftermarket front panel if the don't fit right, the time it will take to make it fit right is not worth the aggravation.
The stuff I used to fix one of those panels is 3M Structural Adhesive, you can also get that at body shop supply stores or on line vendors. It is great stuff and I've fixed a number of plastic bits over the years with it. Its a 2 part adhesive you mix together like epoxy glue and it sets up pretty quick. I fixed one of those front panels that was more or less broken in half in the front with that stuff and it was strong enough that you could pull on it after it was installed and it didn't even flex. So you might be able to fix yours, see what it looks like after you get the headlights out. BTW, try to get the Jeep in a warm garage if you are doing this job, all those plastic parts esp the little parts on the headlamps that pop onto the headlight adjusting rods get real brittle in cold weather. So much so that here's another tip, if your pass side headlamp bulb burns out and its real cold out, its better to remove the battery hold down and pull out the battery to gain access, than to try pulling off the headlamp and reinstalling it. In the cold those parts are likely to break. I keep spare ones around just in case....

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-s...FYLd4Aodt0YAQA
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
shaynesaw

I have the exact same situation. I have to replace the header panel.
I may buy one from a parts store and hope it works.
I am getting custom bumpers fabricated for 800 bucks!
Does anyone know if the new header panels come with the headlight adjusting screws attached?
shaynesaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.