Head Gasket, Sealent repair additives/Stop leaks. Good or Bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Head Gasket, Sealent repair additives/Stop leaks. Good or Bad?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
BRayf78
1995 ZJ 

Head Gasket, Sealent repair additives/Stop leaks. Good or Bad?

I have a 95 5.2L 318 v* ZJ, I believe i have a head gasket leaking antifreeze into engine because I am blowing white smoke. It is not to severe but has been going on for awhile. I don't have the money to get it replaced nor the time or knowledge to do it myself, so i was looking at the alternatives. I noticed all the many different types of stop leaks and sealant repair additives out there. two in particular caught my eye for two main reasons one is the Steel Seal additive and the other is the Blue Devil additive. The two reasons i favor these two are that they are both clear so they don't use particles to seal the gaps, the other is they both say they are permanent and not just a band-aid. What are yalls ideas on these or other products? What should i do?

BRayf78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

not a fan, imho, do it right the first time. anything you buy off the shelf (sealent wise) is exactly that, a band aid. that cracked head/cylinder/gasket will not repair itself overnight because you decided to put some glue in the antifreeze. i would say save up for a replacement, but do it asap, running it like that only hurts it, noesnt help
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
cmonson

it will work if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere late at night and need to get home. But above said it right.

do it once and do it right or you are going to do more damage than good.

Like I said, it is a solution to get you home in an emergency, but that is it.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've heard a lot of good things about the blue devil from people that have used it. When the head on my 4.7 cracked a bunch of people suggested I try it out. One person had a taurus or something like that they had put it in about 6 months prior and it was still going.

That said, none of that stuff is permanent. If you end up doing it, plan on it lasting months at best not years. Apparently the head on my 4.7 was cracked when I bought it, and the PO had put something like that in there. When it gave out 6 weeks after I bought it, I had quite a mess to clean up. I spent quite a bit of time flushing out coolant passages, etc. The radiator was a real disaster, I almost replaced it but with a little time I did get it cleaned out.

If it's still running OK, stay on top of your fluids and save up the $$ to do it properly. If you're in a jam, it will buy you a few months at least. If you are dead set on doing it, I would use the blue devil. It's a few bucks more but worth it. I'm told you have to follow the instructions EXACTLY though, no shortcuts.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
BRayf78
1995 ZJ 

Well it is my daily driver and i dont have the funds to get another car or to fix it properly. So i am not necessarily dead set on doing it but just concerned it has been smoking for a little over a year now although the amount of smoke has reduced. I just dont want it to lock up on me so I was asking advice.
Unread 10-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy147 View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about the blue devil from people that have used it. When the head on my 4.7 cracked a bunch of people suggested I try it out. One person had a taurus or something like that they had put it in about 6 months prior and it was still going.

That said, none of that stuff is permanent. If you end up doing it, plan on it lasting months at best not years. Apparently the head on my 4.7 was cracked when I bought it, and the PO had put something like that in there. When it gave out 6 weeks after I bought it, I had quite a mess to clean up. I spent quite a bit of time flushing out coolant passages, etc. The radiator was a real disaster, I almost replaced it but with a little time I did get it cleaned out.

If it's still running OK, stay on top of your fluids and save up the $$ to do it properly. If you're in a jam, it will buy you a few months at least. If you are dead set on doing it, I would use the blue devil. It's a few bucks more but worth it. I'm told you have to follow the instructions EXACTLY though, no shortcuts.
I have talked with several guys on the Ford Truck Forum that have used Blue Devil. It works. But you have to follow the instructions EXACTLY. Don't try to short cut anything. FOLLOW THEIR DIRECTIONS TO THE WORD. I was told it will last for a long time. If I was in your position I would try it. What is it $60?
I know most on here don't like sealers, but as an old mechanic I use them. What do you have to loose $60 + your time to install it. If it works you have bought some time to save your money to have it fixed or fix it yourself. You know when I was young in my teens & twenties I did not have money & i used drain oil when I needed oil. Used mustard to seal radiator leaks. Replaced knocking rods with better used bearings. Used shims to shim bad bearings, & the list is much longer. I drove a piece of sagebrush into a vent hole on a leaking water pump & drove it for months. The young generation has no idea how to get by. If the day ever came that car parts were hard to get 90% of peoples cars would be parked.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
02Lightning
1995 ZJ 

If you are getting water in the crank case I would change the oil more often. Water in not good on bearings.
Unread 10-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post
If you are getting water in the crank case I would change the oil more often. Water in not good on bearings.
If it's still running decent, that is probably your biggest concern right there. Next time you change your oil, let it sit at least over night first (I know you should warm it up a little first....but just this once skip it). When you pull the drain plug, do it VERY slowly. There is an unthreaded portion at the end of the drain plug. You want to end up with just that unthreaded portion in the pan so you get a slow trickle. If you have a small amount of coolant in there, you will see it come out first. This is what I had done on mine. I had checked it earlier and it did NOT foam up into a brown frothy mess.

If you've got coolant in the oil and no other options, I would blue devil it. If your only symptom is the smoke, just be nice to her.

Like I and CUlate said if you do the blue devil do NOT deviate from the instructions AT ALL!
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
Unread 10-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
BRayf78
1995 ZJ 

Well I have been looking online and noticed another sealant repair called Therma gasket, any ideas? Trying to choose which one of the three to use now, Thermagasket, Steel Seal, Blue Devil?
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRayf78 View Post
Well I have been looking online and noticed another sealant repair called Therma gasket, any ideas? Trying to choose which one of the three to use now, Thermagasket, Steel Seal, Blue Devil?
Again a few of us have known or heard good about Blue Devil.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Unless you can get some similar positive feedback on the others, I would just go with the Blue Devil.
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.