head gasket or exhaust problem???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > head gasket or exhaust problem????

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

head gasket or exhaust problem????

Ok, I overheated my engine a couple times well over a year ago and I originally didnt think I didnt do any damage until recently. When I stomp on the gas and accelerate fast I get a bad smell from what I think is my exhaust. I had a 3" cat back system installed a few months back and I read sometimes after a new exhaust system the cat can clog up and cause a bad smell. I find that hard to believe since I've only had it on for like 2 and a half months. This smell got me worried so as I was checking my fluids today I checked for common symptoms. Im not losing an excessive amount of coolant but I did notice this black gunky stuff underneath my radiator cap and there was like little sparkle things floating on top of my coolant. I opened up my coolant reservior and it looks a little brown around the edges. I didnt find anything underneath my oil cap. I didnt see any smoke or fluid coming out of my exhaust. Im thinking about getting both my coolant and exhaust systems checked. So what do you think, do I have an engine problem, exhaust problem, or am I just paranoid?

98 5.9 ZJ: 4.5" IRO + 1" spacers w/IRO front adjustable long arms and rear adjustable CAs, IRO OTK steering, KOR steering brace, JKS quick disconnects, IRO belly skid, Bilsteins, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MT sidebiters, ARB bumper w/ WARN M8000 and 2 55W Hella Black Magic, JCR stage 2 sliders, Bushwackers, AEM CAI, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, 3" Kolak exhaust w/Flowmaster 44

In the garage: 8.8 w/4.10s and LSD, Artec 8.8 swap kit and truss

My 5.9 BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1095938/

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
donha1mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Anyifreeze has a kind of oil in it. It can look funny in the fill cap. Brown in the tank around the rim is most likely rust in your system. 3" i would think is to big. 2.5" would be better. To little back pressure can be just as bad as to much What did it smell like? Maybe you do have a bad cat. Rotten egg smell?
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95xj View Post
Anyifreeze has a kind of oil in it. It can look funny in the fill cap. Brown in the tank around the rim is most likely rust in your system. 3" i would think is to big. 2.5" would be better. To little back pressure can be just as bad as to much What did it smell like? Maybe you do have a bad cat. Rotten egg smell?
kind of, its hard to describe. Its like a mixture of rich exhuast and sulfur. I dont know exactly. I really dont want to push it to refresh my memory lol
98 5.9 ZJ: 4.5" IRO + 1" spacers w/IRO front adjustable long arms and rear adjustable CAs, IRO OTK steering, KOR steering brace, JKS quick disconnects, IRO belly skid, Bilsteins, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MT sidebiters, ARB bumper w/ WARN M8000 and 2 55W Hella Black Magic, JCR stage 2 sliders, Bushwackers, AEM CAI, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, 3" Kolak exhaust w/Flowmaster 44

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

rich and sulfur = bad cat. If you really wana do it right replace the cat and both o2 sensors. Soon enough you will a CEL anyway telling you the cat is bad.
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
rich and sulfur = bad cat. If you really wana do it right replace the cat and both o2 sensors. Soon enough you will a CEL anyway telling you the cat is bad.
If it is my cat, why would it go bad? Like I said earlier it's not even 3 months old and it's the magnaflow high flow cat so it's not some POS cat. The O2 sensors are brand new too, I replaced them when I put the exhaust on.

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Ummm...if he's stomping on it and getting a smell in the passenger compartment, he's probably not smelling exhaust.

If it can be described as a "sweet" smell, we all know what the issue is and it matches with particulates in the coolant along with lost coolant. It's also quite unhealthy to continue breathing.

Good luck with that. It would also explain why the inside of your windshield might have a bit of greasy film on it.

I'm thinking a heater core is in your future.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Jeep95XJ - 3" exhaust is too big for a 4.0, but not for a 5.2, 5.9 (which he has) or a 4.7.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Ummm...if he's stomping on it and getting a smell in the passenger compartment, he's probably not smelling exhaust.

If it can be described as a "sweet" smell, we all know what the issue is and it matches with particulates in the coolant along with lost coolant. It's also quite unhealthy to continue breathing.

Good luck with that. It would also explain why the inside of your windshield might have a bit of greasy film on it.

I'm thinking a heater core is in your future.
I cant smell it with my windows up and others can smell it while driving. My girlfriend was following me on the highway and she said she could smell it whenever I accelerated(entrance ramp and passing cars) but not when I was coasting. I dont have a film on my windshield, the black gunk was found underneath my radiator cap.

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 08-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Ive have an update. The past week or so my jeep has been making a noise when I accelerate hard. It sounds like rattling metal or a chain dragging is the best way I can describe it. Acceleration hasn't been affected and it only does it every once and a while. Is this noise related to the smell or an entirely different problem?

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked the t-case? Hot tranny fluid can smell sweet and it will produce a whole lot of smoke.
Unread 08-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Have you checked the t-case? Hot tranny fluid can smell sweet and it will produce a whole lot of smoke.
No I havent. I just had the fluid changed like 3 months ago and how much smoke are we talking about? I cant see any smoke from the drivers seat if its supposed to be a lot

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Lets put it this way. A soda bottle cap full in the throttle body would smoke out a whole block. Grinding sounds dont happen when you have an exhaust problem. Now a broken up cat could cause your exhaust to back up and cause a wooshing sound that you may take as a grinding sound. Who knows. Have the cat checked.
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

well since you put it that way its not smoking. Ive been watching for smoke and I haven't been able to see anything yet. Transmission is shifting fine and smooth so no problems there. What kind of a test can I have done to test my cat?

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have a check engine light on? Most likely if your cat is bad the CEL will come on. If you dont then just get under your jeep and hit the cat with a closed fist. Sometimes when it's broken up inside it will rattle all around when you hit it.
Unread 08-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Give it a kick or with a rubber mallet to see what may rattle around in there. You may have more than one issue however and I'm still suspicious of the cooling system.

"Im not losing an excessive amount of coolant but I did notice this black gunky stuff underneath my radiator cap and there was like little sparkle things floating on top of my coolant. I opened up my coolant reservoir and it looks a little brown around the edges."

Pull that reservoir and flush it out. Replace, Fill it, draw a line on it & monitor it.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.