having trouble with 1994 jeep grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > having trouble with 1994 jeep grand cherokee

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 04-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
rgrocks

having trouble with 1994 jeep grand cherokee

Bought it about a year ago and had this strange popping noise whenever i turn the wheel. thought nothing of it but now it is beginning to be more frequent. like i said it is only when i turn the wheel and it feels like it is on the left side of the car. i can feel it on the floorboard also. I had a friend look at it he said it was a ball joint, had a mechanic give an estimate and he said it was a trac bar. but it is not showing any other symptoms of the tac bar "dealth wobble" as they call it.
please if somene could point me in the right direction i would be forever grateful. thank you

rgrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

try asking here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/
1987 Coleman Columbia
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

If it a 94 with a lot of miles, everything probably has a lot of wear...balljoints, TREs, trackbar, control arm bushings, swaybar bushings, hub bearings, maybe steering box.

The thing to do is have a helper turn the steering wheel back and forth whilst you get under there and look for slop at critical points like balljoints, trackbar ends, and TREs. If you can hear it, that will help.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Mine was doing the same thing. Felt like it was on the left side, and could feel it in the floor when I turned.
What it turned out to be was where the track bar mounts to the axle, the hole was ovaled out, and the track bar was popping around.
Eventually, the bolt wobbled around enough to work the nut off, and the bolt fell out while going down the highway. WORST death wobble EVER! No track bar @55mph = not good.

I had a grade8 washer welded to the mounting bracket to repair the ovaled hole, put an adjustable track bar on, and it hasn't popped since.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.