having trouble with 1994 jeep grand cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
having trouble with 1994 jeep grand cherokee

Bought it about a year ago and had this strange popping noise whenever i turn the wheel. thought nothing of it but now it is beginning to be more frequent. like i said it is only when i turn the wheel and it feels like it is on the left side of the car. i can feel it on the floorboard also. I had a friend look at it he said it was a ball joint, had a mechanic give an estimate and he said it was a trac bar. but it is not showing any other symptoms of the tac bar "dealth wobble" as they call it.
please if somene could point me in the right direction i would be forever grateful. thank you

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 AM
2002 TJ Wrangler 
try asking here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/

post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Belief In All Things Jeep
1995 ZJ 
If it a 94 with a lot of miles, everything probably has a lot of wear...balljoints, TREs, trackbar, control arm bushings, swaybar bushings, hub bearings, maybe steering box.

The thing to do is have a helper turn the steering wheel back and forth whilst you get under there and look for slop at critical points like balljoints, trackbar ends, and TREs. If you can hear it, that will help.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 
Mine was doing the same thing. Felt like it was on the left side, and could feel it in the floor when I turned.
What it turned out to be was where the track bar mounts to the axle, the hole was ovaled out, and the track bar was popping around.
Eventually, the bolt wobbled around enough to work the nut off, and the bolt fell out while going down the highway. WORST death wobble EVER! No track bar @55mph = not good.

I had a grade8 washer welded to the mounting bracket to repair the ovaled hole, put an adjustable track bar on, and it hasn't popped since.

'09 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.