Having trouble with a 1994 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Having trouble with a 1994 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited Help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Ace1923

Having trouble with a 1994 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited Help

I recently purchased a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. On the freeway a while ago, it shook violently and then the engine cut off. I couldn't accelerate anymore and smoke filled it. I pulled to the side of the road, and checked the dipstick it was smoking. I couldn't find any oil on the dipstick. I let it cool down for a couple hours and came back and put oil in it. I couldn't find the oil on the dipstick or the ground. When I tried to start it, it attempt to turn then stopped. Now it just clicks. And the headlights flash, and the inside makes a weird clicking sound whether I turn the key or not. I had to disconnect the battery to prevent it from draining. When I started it previous to this incident, it kicked out smoked, was loud, and I could smell th efumes from the inside. I don't know where to start, I would appreciate any advice or guesses on how to get this fixed, and prices it may cost. Thanks and God bless.

Ace1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

No oil on the dipstick? none?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

The flashing lights is your alarm and the clicking sound inside is the solenoid operating the lights. 94 has IR keyless entry remotes which is the little bubble you see on your overhead console. Pressing the unlock button should disarm the alarm. If you do not have the remote or is inoperable, lock and unlock the PASSENGER door with the key. Have the door closed for this. This will also disarm the alarm.

As far as oil, depending if you have the 5.2L and how many miles you have on it, it may have burned it. Mine will burn a out a quart every 1500 miles, sometimes less. So you won't see oil in ground or around engine leaking. Another culprit on those engines is the rear main seal. Check your tranny bell housing for excessive amounts of oil. That's indicative of a bad rear seal and or bad valve cover gaskets as it lakes backwards and down from the top ending up in this area as well.

Worst case is the engine seized. That sucks. Best case scenario, deactivating the alarm and some oil in the engine will start her up again.

Good luck.
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

Reading your post again I realized that you mentioned that "it tried to start". That's good since it means it s not seized up. That's your alarm system that's activated keeping it from starting. ( Shuts off fuel system)

Do the key lock and unlock on the passenger side and she should start right up. :-)

Another thing to remember is that merely no oil in the dipstick does not mean that the engine is completely empty. This is because the dipstick is designed to only go down into the pan a certain distance. If I recall right, three quarts and over is when the oil will start to show up on the stick.
161k Bone Stock
Unread 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Yamajer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

upon start up Id add a additive like lucas oil just to help with the "siezure" . Its great stuff!! Good luck on it!
Yamajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Ace1923

Thank you, so now I can have my battery connected. And the clicking and flashing lights stop. But everytime I turn the key, the engine makes a click click click sound. It doesn't start, then the alarm comes back on. I hope this helps you pinpoint the problem.
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Yamajer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is someone there to jump you? Did you check the oil level before start up? Just make sure there is oil on the dipstick before starting it
Yamajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

Is the engine turning over? That would isolate lock-up, however The clicking sound you describe and the lights flashing sounds like a battery issue. Either the batt is done or the connections are weak.

As suggested, try to get a jump and or check your batt connections.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
161k Bone Stock
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Ace1923

Much appreciated guys. I had it towed to a shop, and as it turns out my engine locked. Due to a rod, breaking through the oil pan. And now I'm trying to find a reputable and trustworthy mech to drop a engine. I'm in the Southfield MI area. If you could direct me to anyone I'd very much appreciate it. God bless you all.
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Ive got a 5.2 eng with approx 80,000 miles. Im in macomb mich. Not sure if you got a hold of one yet?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.