Having fun trying to determine engine troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Having fun trying to determine engine troubles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
OneChopOnePill
1995 ZJ 

Having fun trying to determine engine troubles

Before I start with my problem, I will say I went looked through the FAQ and found the engine trouble list. It was informative and I think I might have found the solution to my problem.

First off, my Jeep has had starting and stalling issues. Sometimes it just refuses to start. It'll try to turn over and with a bit of pressure on the gas it will run, but won't catch. When I'm moving around in my driveway, it can end up stalling out. The idle is always low when this happens. The thing rattles quite a bit sometimes, but not always. It has good days and bad days, to say the least.

At first, I thought electrical. I checked the grounds and fuses. They were good. The terminals had some corrosion so I cleaned them until they looked brand new. Nothing changed, except for the fact my fog lights started magically working again. So I ruled out electrical.

Next, I looked at the idle itself. I cleaned the IAC. Same issues. I sent it to the mechanic and he adjusted the idle. It turned on stronger. Well... it ran stronger. And the idle was nice for a whole day. But then it dropped back down to where it was before.

My ZJ started to sound louder. The exhaust started to get a rich fuel smell to it. I revved my engine up while in park a bit, and then it sounded like I was running a gutted out muffler. And then I remembered.. the muffler and catalytic converter are all OEM. They have not been changed since the day it rolled off of the factory.

So, my guess is that I need a new muffler and I may have a blown catalytic converter. I'm not sure if this is the fix, but I'm hoping it is. Regardless, I'm going to get a Flowmaster Series 40 muffler sometime this February. I plan on cutting the old muffler open to see if I had the right idea or not. If not, oh well, I'll have a new muffler.

TL;DR: After sleuthing around, I think my exhaust system is to blame for my engine problems, and if not I'll at least have a new muffler.

Unread 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

LOL your signature is my motto with mine..

.. A bad cat could explain the problem.

Welcome to the forum mate! Best of luck in getting that solved. I'm on my 3rd cat and 4th muffler so I have no clue how horrid the originals could end up performing this late but that would be a good place to start investing money. Worst case, it exhales a LOT better. best case, it solves your problem
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

I dont think this thread is in the FAQ, but it should be.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post
I dont think this thread is in the FAQ,
it's in there
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
nnovickzj
1997 ZJ 

sometimes the Iac is bad and cleaning it doesn't fix the problem. does it ever act up when driving around town or on the highway ? also could be a leaking exhaust manifold that is throwing off the air to fuel mixture.

i see your a mass hole too if you ever need any help working on yours im happy to help out fellow mass jeepers
nnovickzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
OneChopOnePill
1995 ZJ 

If it isn't I'll just have to keep going down the list, or save up the money for the mechanics. The owner before my old man bought the Jeep for my family didn't take care of it, so we've done a lot. I forgot to add the engine "blew" (didn't run a while, but then magically started up one day but was louder than a jet taking off), so we had it rebuilt with another 5.2. This Jeep was also in an accident, which wasn't disclosed when we bought it. In short, this Jeep has seen some things. I'm having fun playing with it and learning how to fix things.

And thank you!
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
OneChopOnePill
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnovickzj View Post
sometimes the Iac is bad and cleaning it doesn't fix the problem. does it ever act up when driving around town or on the highway ? also could be a leaking exhaust manifold that is throwing off the air to fuel mixture.

i see your a mass hole too if you ever need any help working on yours im happy to help out fellow mass jeepers
We live in the same town, too.

Last edited by OneChopOnePill; 01-27-2014 at 09:23 PM..
OneChopOnePill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.