JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   have DW - going to junkyard (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/have-dw-going-junkyard-820652/)

spikeystrip 07-20-2009 01:19 PM

have DW - going to junkyard

i have DW on my daily driver and it came out of no where. its a 95 GC AWD with the 5.2 with 200K. i cannot find any loose parts and i had already replaced the tie rod ends and drag link + sway bar end links. i really dont know what to do and i need this fixed b4 i go back to college in a month. im going to the junk yard and i figured i could grab some stuff and try it out. any major wear items on the jeep? the only thing i can think of is maybe control arm bushings? any help is appreciated thanks

mawardjr 07-20-2009 01:30 PM

what about control arms and their bushings ... good shape?

Bent wheel or out of balance tire can also cause DW .....

Rotate wheels/tires front to back and see if anything changes ... if DW goes away you know it is related to them and not the suspension.

Bort62 07-20-2009 01:55 PM

Control arm bushings. Don't get those from the junkyard.

at 200k miles they are guaranteed to be wasted.

WiCkeDuDe 07-20-2009 04:17 PM

Hows your steering stabilizer. Usually its there or the trackbar.

JForest2 07-20-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawardjr (Post 7612988)
what about control arms and their bushings ... good shape?

Bent wheel or out of balance tire can also cause DW .....

Rotate wheels/tires front to back and see if anything changes ... if DW goes away you know it is related to them and not the suspension.

Can an out of balance tire really cause death wobble? Would jeep really produce a vehicle that would cause this dangerous condition.. I know the short answer is yes.. But I has to be more than that causing this issue..

James

skain8 07-20-2009 06:58 PM

219 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JForest2 (Post 7614540)
Can an out of balance tire really cause death wobble? Would jeep really produce a vehicle that would cause this dangerous condition.. I know the short answer is yes.. But I has to be more than that causing this issue..

James

Many causes of DW, but yes, one of them is most certainly out of balance/out of round tires.

ZgreatJ 07-20-2009 07:03 PM

Stock heighth? CA bushings or check track bar bolt.

spikeystrip 07-21-2009 01:41 PM

how can i even check control arm bushings? theres no play in them when i pry up on it with a bar or any movement. do i have to take them off and thats the only way? also i didnt check my track bar but when i hit a bump that fully flexes the suspension i hear a clunk on drivers side and i no something is loose but its only so often it makes it hard to track down.

Bort62 07-21-2009 02:33 PM

My DW was caused by worn control arm bushings and exacerbated by unbalanced tires.

The time now is 09:11 PM.