Have 2.5" Wj Coil Lift, Whats Needed For 4.5" Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Have 2.5" Wj Coil Lift, Whats Needed For 4.5" Lift

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 07-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
JEEPGUY09
2001 WJ 

Have 2.5" Wj Coil Lift, Whats Needed For 4.5" Lift

The title pretty much explains it. Currently I have a 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado with a 2.5" Rusty's coil lift in both the front and the rear, and then I have a 3/4" spacer in the front. I was wondering if I was to get 2" spacers and put them overtop of the coils for a total of 4.5" both front and back what else would I need to get to accomodate the extra height?

JEEPGUY09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
RLWaderacin
1979 CJ5 

Adjustable Trac Bar, Longer Shocks, Extended Sway Bar links, and Transfer Case Drop. You would also most likely need some Control Arms...unless you trim about .5 inch off the spacer to sit at a even 4 inches. It wll ride like poo but if you going for size then by all means!
RLWaderacin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

^ A transfer case drop is not needed at 4", maybe 6" but even then a double/double driveshaft should alleviate any front driveshaft vibes. Also, 4" on short arms does not ride like "poo", even with crappy worn out shocks my setup rides very nicely.

Front and rear sway bar end links, adjustable track bar, shocks, at LEAST longer front lower control arms (adjustable are preffered and adding an adjustble set to the rear lower and front upper isn't a bad idea either), and possibly a new front driveshaft depending on which one you have now.

BTW, Nice rare WJ, one of the very few that came with V6's.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
RLWaderacin
1979 CJ5 

I was taking it as you were going to put 2 inch spacers on the 2.5 springs. That would ride kinda crappy. ( I know because I did it prior) But you get 4 inch springs then it ride just fine. And the TC drop would be preferred by most people that know what they are doing. But IMO I would do it right the first time. I did not and now I am gonna be spending more to get what I want. Just save up and get a IRO 4 inch kit....from what i hear most people on here like it.
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Poly spacers do nothing to make the ride harsher or softer. Running 2" on short arms vs. 4" on short arms is why it rode like crap.
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
RLWaderacin
1979 CJ5 

It made my ride a whole lot rougher!
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
JEEPGUY09
2001 WJ 

I was just wondering if buying the extras plus the spacers would cost me less since I have new shocks for the 2.5" and 2.5" coils already or if the cost would surpass or be equal to the 4" lifts sold by Rough Country @ $499
JEEPGUY09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
RLWaderacin
1979 CJ5 

ohhh...well like I said before...do it right the first time. Iron Rock has a good 4 inch kit and I have seen a few Zone kits that didnt look to shabby. ( dont know much about them but they are cheaper then most and seem to have everything)
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Since you're on a budget, get the zone kit for $700 (shipped), then sell your springs/shocks for ~$200 or so. The IRO kit is nice but the zone kit will give you better caster thanks to the longer front lower control arms. Plus the zone kit has an A arm spacer.
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
RLWaderacin
1979 CJ5 

^^^^agreed^^^^
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdorton86 View Post
And the TC drop would be preferred by most people that know what they are doing. But IMO I would do it right the first time.
Obviously you don't know what you are doing. A WJ is not like other short wheel based jeeps. Do to the longer wheelbase and thus less intense driveline angles, a t-case is not required even at 6" if you know what you are doing and set everything up correctly. So the next time you want to tell others that they are wrong, make sure you yourself are not wrong.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
RLWaderacin
1979 CJ5 

For one my info came from Mike at Go Treks....I never said it was "required" but it was preferred. And I never said anyone was wrong. And you are right about the wheel base...but I myself would rather get that and be safe about it. It would be fine without it but when it comes down to it it would be better to have IMO.
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

So why is it better in your opinion?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 07-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
RLWaderacin
1979 CJ5 

Well I cant say for sure. I am new to the WJ but from what they say at Tnt it will only help. But lets not argue and stay on the subject. If it makes it better then you are right
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

It is not just about being right but informing people who are not sure or misinformed. There are many people othersmay look at this thread and think they need a t-case drop when they don't. I'm sorry for saying you were wrong and being a jerk.

I was once in your shoes, new to the whole jeep and didn't understand much and didn't really care to listen. I still don't know everything but listen a little better now. I am just trying to inform you that when you do a lift correctly and set everything up up right, it is not need.

See if this makes sense, you raise a vehicle 4" with a t-case drop of 1" so in reality you only raised the lowest point 3", why not do a 3" lift and not do a t-case drop. And wheeling with a WJ, the t-case likes to come in contact with stuff or at least my t-case skid does.

As long as you don't have cv style front driveline then a t-case drop won't be necessary. And if you do have one and plan on going to 4" of lift, then even with a t-case drop, it is still a ticking time bomb and should be replace with a double cardon front driveshaft.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.