haunted headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > haunted headlights

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

haunted headlights

Hey guys my wife has a1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo
L6 auto 4x4, and as she's driving the headlights go on and off occasionally but not very often and the dash lights dim. The jeep is in like brand new condition. When I push on the headlight switch the dash lights will dim sometimes so I'm thinking its the switch
but would that cause the headlights to go completely out then come back on. Short in the switch, fuseable link. I don't know much about electrical. thanks for any advice.

Bryck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryck7 View Post
Hey guys my wife has a1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo
L6 auto 4x4, and as she's driving the headlights go on and off occasionally but not very often and the dash lights dim. The jeep is in like brand new condition. When I push on the headlight switch the dash lights will dim sometimes so I'm thinking its the switch
but would that cause the headlights to go completely out then come back on. Short in the switch, fuseable link. I don't know much about electrical. thanks for any advice.
is she using Auto headlights? or manually setting them on or off?
Muzramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
nateled93

I just fixed this problem on my ZJ a couple of days ago. Its very easy. I'd never soldered before and I was able to fix it. Just remove the headlight switch (which requires removing half the dash. You find find a thread for it) and then you'll have to do some soldering. I got it all done in a couple of hours and no more diso partys in the ZJ lol. Here's what you need for the soldering instructions: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/
nateled93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Could be a cold solder joint causing the illumination lamps to dim but the problem with the headlamps going off/on is probably due to the internal circuit breaker tripping then resetting. Its possible that the breaker is getting overloaded due to higher wattage bulbs or a wiring problem but these are known to simply become weak and reset by themselves. Since you have two problems with the switch I would probably just replace the switch. If anything else you might make sure the bulbs are OEM rated wattage and the connections are ok and the bulbs and switch.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Its possible that the breaker is getting overloaded due to higher wattage bulbs or a wiring problem but these are known to simply become weak and reset by themselves. Since you have two problems with the switch I would probably just replace the switch. If anything else you might make sure the bulbs are OEM rated wattage and the connections are ok and the bulbs and switch.
x2
everything about jeeps seems to be extremely finicky when it comes to electrical. dying battery, slightly corroded cables, higher than OEM rated power draw items, etc all seem to cause bugs in a lot of cases. Just food for thought.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I had this problem with mine when I bought it. Turned the lights on and the dash lights would flicker. Common problem with the poor solder in the light switch. I didn't really care so I left it alone. It hasn't done it in a very long time now but I never use the auto light setting either. I found that by playing with the brightness slider it would stop flickering.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
martymars

My dash light dim in out too. Head lamps seem fine though. Bit of a PITA.
martymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

reply back to those with advice about my headlight post

Thanks to you all for the headlight advice check all of these things
That you all suggested but now her ac/ & heater stopped blowing hope its just a fuse or a bad blower connection not the blower
Motor itself. Well happy thanksgiving
Bryck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

everyone is wrong. your jeep is indeed haunted. cheek the car fax for any records of previous owners perishing inside the vehicle.

No but in all seriousness It might be your battery or alternator slowly dieing. I know the ZJ's are different from the YJ's (obviously) but My headlights and interior dash lights dimmed and at one point completely turned off while I was driving. Those are easy to cheek for problems also!
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

If she is using the automheadlight function, it could be the light sensor up on the dash. If the sensor is registering daylight, it will turn off the lights completely. I believe that it is the same sensor that will dim your interior lights when it gets dark outside and make them brighter during daylight.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.