Has anyone painted the GC rims black? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Has anyone painted the GC rims black?

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #16
MudMad
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeen View Post
Great example! These are the same rims as i have, so i'll be doing pretty much the same as you have seeming as i'm 50% off road most the time too.
What lift do you have?
It's got Up-Country springs and some 1 3/4 inch spring spacers off one of the eBay suppliers, together with some longer Rough Country shocks to suit the new height. It looks higher in the rear in this photo, but the driveway is a bit un-even, so the front is a better indication of height. I noticed that it sat a bit low on the right rear (this is the right hand drive Japanese Import version), which I suspected was the track bar dragging the corner down - although most of the posts on this site that I researched seemed adamant that this indicated a shock or spring sag problem. To test my theory, I did a front to rear spring swap, and this definately made the sag worse, and I was also unhappy with how much off-set the axel had. It also felt really uncomfortable on left hand corners, with quite a distinct understeer feel ...

I bought a front and rear track bar lowering bracket kit from the US, although discovered when it arrived that the left hand (US) and right hand (Japanese) versions must have their running gear reversed or something, because my track bar ran the opposite way to the one in the instructions so the bracket didn't fit. I've fixed this by simply cutting the track bar and extending it with galvanised steel tubing welded over the original bar - looks real strong!

Problem solved. Axel centred and the rear now sits completely level. No more understeer on left hand corners, and rides nice and firm (how I like it on our rough roads here in Northland, NZ) having left the front springs in the rear (without spacers). Tires are 275/70-16 - the metric equivalent of around 31.5 inches.

MudMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #17
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I kept my spacers in the rear along with the bb. In the front I used an extra spacers and sandwiched the bb between it. Leveled it out pretty nice. I would watch that drop bracket closely. Looks good with the wheels black. I did this to my 95 limited rims because they were trashed. It turned out great and they never flaked off.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Has anyone painted other style rims black and put them on a ZJ? I kinda like/want the rounded 5 spoke rims that came on the late 90's Cherokees and Wranglers, but I'm not sure what it would look like when done, and I don't want to go through the investment and have it not come out as expected...

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/JEEP...97/A-09016U85/

Kinda thinkin that rim would look good, but never seen it done and was just curious. I believe it's called the Grizzly rim. Definitely want to stick with the 15X7 because my tires only have 1000 miles on them. I also have seen the aluminum lace rims off of the early 90's Cherokees black with the silver lip, anyone have any pics of either on a ZJ? preferably a white ZJ with Laredo trim?

Last edited by jmonty0523; 10-10-2011 at 03:32 PM..
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rims

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.