Has anyone painted the GC rims black? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Has anyone painted the GC rims black?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

Has anyone painted the GC rims black?

Just wondering if anyone has photos of painted honeycomb rims in black?

cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Everybody in my neighborhood has and they all look like azz. Or like a 16 year old kid's first modification. I especially like how they all start chipping and peeling within 20 miles.

You can't get the black paint to stick without removing the factory clearcoat, cause if the clear is in bad shape the black won't stick any better.

If the clear is removed the labor to do a brushed aluminum finish with black recesses is not far off, and would look way better. Just an opinion.

good luck with your project.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Powdercoat.
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

I did one of mine. Didn't do the whole wheel just the silver. I left the metallic on the insides. Looks grid but only took me about 4 hours to do one wheel! And after 2 coats of primer 3 coats of paint and about 6 coats of clear it still chipped... A PITA!!! Im thinking about just biting the bullet and getting new wheels.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I took all the clearcoat off and did flat black, no clearcoat on the black paint. Stood up to 2 years of mud and carwashes with minimal touch up.

[/URL]
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

my buddy just did the inside areas, (gold areas), black and they turned out lookin pretty good.
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
caligiuri87
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Everybody in my neighborhood has and they all look like azz. Or like a 16 year old kid's first modification. I especially like how they all start chipping and peeling within 20 miles.

You can't get the black paint to stick without removing the factory clearcoat, cause if the clear is in bad shape the black won't stick any better.

If the clear is removed the labor to do a brushed aluminum finish with black recesses is not far off, and would look way better. Just an opinion.

good luck with your project.
lolol my rims are half black.. im planning painting them prob black the boy before me painted them as u could see foundry but i think its jsut one coat and it looks discusting but i used high pressure washer and everything came of when i tried on diff rim so prob ill be lucky but yes it does look good black. ill post a pick tom
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I've never really liked those gold honeycomb wheels, but I have to say, yours look pretty good in black WhiteOut.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
jstick911

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
I took all the clearcoat off and did flat black, no clearcoat on the black paint. Stood up to 2 years of mud and carwashes with minimal touch up.

[/URL]
How did you remove the clear? Solvent or sandpaper? Had to be sandpaper right? Just scratched it up a bit? then prep solvent then flat black? That looks great!
jstick911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstick911 View Post
How did you remove the clear? Solvent or sandpaper? Had to be sandpaper right? Just scratched it up a bit? then prep solvent then flat black? That looks great!

Materials:
- 2 cans Rustoleum spray paint (750ml)
- 1 can clear coat (750ml)
- 200 grit sandpaper
- 400 grit sandpaper
- Blue or green painters tape
- Simple Green degreaser (optional)
- Newspaper
- Beer (12 cans)
- Playing cards
- 800 grit sandpaper (optional)

Step 1: Prep

Sand wheels with 200 grit sandpaper until all clearcoat is removed and wheel surface is scratched, switch to 400 grit sandpaper and sand until scratches are somewhat smoothed out. Wash wheels with Simple Green and rinse well, allow to dry. Consume 1-2 beers while this takes place.

Place clean, sanded wheels on newspaper in a well ventilated, sheltered area to be painted. To keep paint off the rubber there are two options.

1) Use playing cards in the seam between the tire and wheel.

2) Tape the tire completely.

Both methods work fine, taping covers the tire a bit better. Now we are ready to paint.

Step 2: Painting

Grab your first can of whatever color you will be using and shake well, usually 2-5 mins. Read the instructions carefully and maybe wear some gloves unless you wanna wash your hands a lot. Do a test spray to make sure the can works.

Hold the can about 18" away from the tire and spray side to side, not stopping in one spot. The first coat on all the wheels should not be too thick, allow that coat to tack up a bit and repeat this process, with gradually thicker coats, until you have 3-5 coats in the wheel. After the last coat is on, you have to wait 18-24 hours for the paint to fully cure. Consume more beer.

Optional step: Fine sanding

When I did mine I took some 800 grit sandpaper, used for sanding before wood is veneered, and LIGHTLY sanded the fully cured paint. If you do this make sure the wheels are clean after you sand. I used a can of compressed air used to clean out computers and electronics.

I didn't use the clear coat since it looked like it would gloss the paint up and I wanted flat. I used a flap disc for my grinder and a wire wheel, then the degreaser.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

yes,yes i have
wheels.jpg   jeep-spare.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

I used the Rustoleum Wheel paint from the local parts store. All I did was wash them really well with orange cleaner, then dish soap & water. Let dry well, then I applied one coat. The paint I used went on nice & thick. It took me two cans to do all four rims but wish I would've bought that third can. I used some cardboard with a fifteen inch circle cutout to cover the tires from overspray. After a month or two the paint is still holding up without any flaking or anything.

rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #13
MudMad
1996 ZJ 

I've painted the factory gold/silver alloys. I used some steelo (scotch) pads to take of the grime, then painted with black enamel etch primer - I prefer the matt rather than gloss finish otherwise the tires tend to look to grey in comparison to the rims.

Have been off-roading plenty of times and no problems so far. I have all the paint gear and plenty of paint, and given that mine is used as a bush basher, it's pretty rare to see the wheels through the mud anyway, so I'm not too fussy if touch-ups are needed in the future.

MudMad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #14
Terokee
1998 ZJ 

Yes!!! Another bush basher. I feel the same way about mine, almost never see's pavment and only gets washed if it needs to have work done to it. I like the flat black wheels. Sure beats the tacky gold they come with from the factory!
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMad View Post
I've painted the factory gold/silver alloys. I used some steelo (scotch) pads to take of the grime, then painted with black enamel etch primer - I prefer the matt rather than gloss finish otherwise the tires tend to look to grey in comparison to the rims.

Have been off-roading plenty of times and no problems so far. I have all the paint gear and plenty of paint, and given that mine is used as a bush basher, it's pretty rare to see the wheels through the mud anyway, so I'm not too fussy if touch-ups are needed in the future.

Great example! These are the same rims as i have, so i'll be doing pretty much the same as you have seeming as i'm 50% off road most the time too.
What lift do you have?
cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rims

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.