has anyone installed the cheapo ironrock lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > has anyone installed the cheapo ironrock lift?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
ijusgottajeep
1994 ZJ 

has anyone installed the cheapo ironrock lift?

i was so amazed at how cheap the iron rock 3.5 base lift is (330$) that i thought its too good to be true. i dont plan on really playing with my rig, mostly i want the 4 new shocks and new front springs and the ground clearance for deep snow/ muddy roads. is it worth getting? plus if it looks goofy with stock wheels/tires, my wife might let me buy new ones soon

ijusgottajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You are going to have to spend at least double that amount. That is not a complete kit with everything you need.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

At the least get the other iro 3.5 lift. It costs a little more. Because it comes with the adj trackbar.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
ijusgottajeep
1994 ZJ 

well that sucks. so is it just the adjustable track bar that i need? the lift kit won't even be good enough for basically dirt roads and 1.5 feet of snow?
ijusgottajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusgottajeep View Post
well that sucks. so is it just the adjustable track bar that i need? the lift kit won't even be good enough for basically dirt roads and 1.5 feet of snow?
For a 3.5" kit you need front and rear adj track bars to center the axles, shocks, coils, longer sway bar end links, and you should have at least adjustable upper control arms to help get the pinion angles right.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

It's not all you need it was just cheaper to buy the kit with the front adj track bar instead of buying it later.
Also if your planning on new and bigger tires. You might need new rims depending on what you backspacing is.
As all the veterans on here say its not cheap lifting these
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

you don't "have" to have all this mess. Yeah, it's nice to have the adjustables to make it drive like a cadilllac, but no, you don't "have" to have their adj. trac bars. you can get away just fine with the brackets if you're just going to be driving it. Yeah, it's gonna have a little bump steer too....but it's just a little. IMO you'll be just fine with trac bar brackets and the intro lift for dirt roads and snow. Most everyone here at one point or another had an intro lift. If you have any intentions on ever wheeling it decently hard you'll want adj. trac bars....but drive the hell out of it til then.
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

these things came with enough ground clearance for snow and muddy roads out of the factory
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusgottajeep View Post
I dont know about the 1.5feet of snow but I do know a TJ with quick disconnects, A/T tires, and hydro shocks at stock height does perfectly fine on dirt/muddy roads. I don't see you having any problem on a dirt road with a 2"bb, good shocks, and A/T or T/A tires. That way you don't have a lot of components to change out and it hit around $350 (if you buy from IRO).

I'm planing on doing a 2"BB on my ZJ with new coil spring isolators and hydro socks. (adding quick disconnects later) I plan on taking my rig on logging roads in Upper Michigan.
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Did you even bother searching on this forum for the kit you are looking into? There is a plethora of information in regards to that vendor, and what you may or may not need. You may also get a better price quote, and exactly what you need, if you got in contact with JeepForum member Kolak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.