Has anyone had WJ problems when installing oversized tire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Has anyone had WJ problems when installing oversized tire?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

Has anyone had WJ problems when installing oversized tire?

The Jeep dealer told me today that some people have tranny problems when installing oversized tires. I don't remember if my torque converter started acting up before or after the tire switch, I think it was after. The mechanic that updated my pcm and tcm told the service advisor that his Jeep acted up after he installed larger tires. So has anyone else had this problem, or do you all for chips?

crashcraddock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I don't exactly believe it. My mother's WJ 4.0 did need a tranny rebuild at about 75k, but I think it was more from neglect than the 245/70/16 A/Ts it's worn for most of it's life.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

Now the tranny shop is saying he doesn't think the tranny is bad, but something engine related e.i. senors or something. Who knows, I'll find out more tomorrow.
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Yeah the bigger tires will be harder on the transmission, axles, engine, transfercase, u-joints, etc...

The 4.0L doesn't have a strong transmission behind it in the first place. Not sure which engine you have.
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

I have the 4.7 with the 45rfe tranny (good stuff), but the Jeep dealer was refering to speed sensors and stuff. I think he was getting me confused with a newer Jeep(my sister's WK).
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
herrmy
2002 WJ 

I believe it's a 545RFE behind the 4.7.
herrmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

Not in the 99 and 00s. And maybe even some 01s
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
herrmy
2002 WJ 

Whoops your right!
herrmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
rgbourne2004
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tranny Problems

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 I6 and auto tranny. I havent had any trouble with the transmission until i changed the tire size. I went from the factory tires to **** cepek 17R35 Mudders. Now when the trans gets warm it doesnt want to shift down to 1st. No problem in reverse or higher gears. At times if i accelerate strongly it feels at if the trans slips out of gear and after my rpms and trans pressure lowers it starts to pull again. Dont know if this helps, but i havent narrowed the problem, if you have please let me know. Thanks.http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/confused.gif
rgbourne2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
jeepers99
1999 WJ 

bought my 99 jeep wj 4.0 at 90k miles. already had larger tires on(the largest that would fit with stock suspension. minor rubbing) Rebuilt tranny at 130k because reverse went out (partially my fault). Leaky transfer case caused the fluid to get low and the gears to slip. did not know for about a week. About 2 weeks after i changed the seal, I gassed it in reverse while against a high curb. The shop who rebuilt the tranny installed an aftermarket tranny cooler. has worked good since. now at about 145k
jeepers99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
SENECA

1999 WJ 

My WJ has never been better after the IRO 6.5 lift and slightly larger than stock 32" tires.

SENECA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.