Harley paid , ZJ now top priority - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Harley paid , ZJ now top priority

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

OP, take a look at the Lifted ZJ thread stickied at top of forum... lots of guys at 4.5-5" running 33's. You'll have some trimming of the bumper covers.

Your pretty local to me, the LEO's can be a pita about tire coverage.. espescially the State cops. If your gonna run wider look at getting some Notch or Bushwacker flares. I'm running a 33x10.5 with ZJ wheels and 1.25" spacers and i'm covered.

You should be good with a D30 front axle as long as your not stupid with the skinny pedal, however that D35 rear will be a weak spot. Lots of guys swapping in a Ford 8.8.. gain rear discs with it also.

OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
throwinwrenches

1995 ZJ 

Its not about what its worth, its what we want it to be or where we want to go with it . I'm an extremist if I'm gonna do it I have to do it to the max .
I dont know any other way . But it has to look right as well .
So let me ask this , can the d30 & d35 be trussed to keep the tubes from flexing and snapping the axles .
I know that if there is a way to break something even on an easy trail I'll find it
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
throwinwrenches

1995 ZJ 

Rear disc I have already . From my understanding the tube flex is what kills them (d35). As far as the skinny pedal goes well we dont get along very well. I'm always tryin to push it out of the vehicle .
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

the words 'extremist' and "D30/35" do not fit together very well.

yes the D35 tubes flex thats why people swap that axle.

just order up the biggest lift you can find (either clayton or IRO) and add a 3" spacer to it (find em on ebay.) do it an post pics.

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #20
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Clayton Long Arm kit with 6" springs
Ford 8.8 in the back, 4.88 gears, ARB locker
Artec truss on the D30, 4.88 gears, ARB locker
Swap the transfer case with a 231 with HD chain
33" or 35" tires
Other misc crap
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwinwrenches View Post
Its not about what its worth, its what we want it to be or where we want to go with it . I'm an extremist if I'm gonna do it I have to do it to the max .
I dont know any other way . But it has to look right as well .
So let me ask this , can the d30 & d35 be trussed to keep the tubes from flexing and snapping the axles .
I know that if there is a way to break something even on an easy trail I'll find it
I would go hp30 in front and an 8.8 rear. Or look into JK axles. I think they are wider, stronger, and you can gear deeper. Or get 3/4 tons god dammit

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
throwinwrenches

1995 ZJ 

Yes I think the 8.8 in the rear is way to go. If the artic truss is available for the hp30 then I will take that rout also
I think whiteout hit pretty much on the money .
Now my second problem , just had a customer pick his car up about 10 minutes ago .
The out come was me buying his 79 scrambler . Now I'm really up as to which one should be done first.
I still think I should build the zj regardless. Just when I thought we had a plan .
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

This is about 5.5"-6" of lift and 33s. I need to tweak the rear a bit, then it will be time for 35s

Unread 10-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
throwinwrenches

1995 ZJ 

That looks good whiteout, I like it. the only thing i have to correct , and i see it on almost every lifted zj, is the rear wheels are never centerd in the wheel wells. they are always pulled foward. Are those home made bumpers or after market?
i also realized i had a typo on the cj8 . It is an 82 , i was working on his 79 mustang when the conversation came up.
i barterd a little work time and ended up spending 150 bucks out of pocket to get the scrambler.
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #25
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Front is an ARB and rear is Rockhard4x4 with tire carrier.

Unless you are running long arms in the rear, you don't want the rear axle centered. If you did, it would contact the rear bumper as the suspension follows its arc.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.