Hard starts when cold? Takes a lot of turning over to fire up. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hard starts when cold? Takes a lot of turning over to fire up.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

Hard starts when cold? Takes a lot of turning over to fire up.

This 5.9 is very hard to start when is been sitting for a while. It takes a lot of turning over for it to fire it up, then its a little groggy at first, but then levels out nicely. If you shut it down and go into a store and shop for a while and come out it seems to start up just as it should. Could it be losing fuel pressure? Thanks!

Unread 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

Wow!! Awesome forum!! I have so many responses!!!
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Have you checked fuel pressure? How recent was last full tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and all quality parts? How's the battery, could be electrical? Have you cleaned fuel injectors? They might be getting clogged.
That tune up, battery and checking injectors would be my first guess
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would look at the battery too. Has it been cold lately?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...-in-winter.htm
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
98Five9er
1998 ZJ 

Im new to my 5.9 and it does the same thing. I'm doing a tune up my next day off to see if that helps. Its hard to get started, and like you said it levels out once it's been running for a few minutes.

Do you have to give it some gas to keep it running? Mine konks out on me if I let off the gas for a good 30 seconds, ten I have to very, VERY slowly let off the gas.

I'll let you know if a tune up fixes the issue. If not I'll have to suspect the battery.
98Five9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

probably fuel pump check valve. need to replace the whole thing.

check running, starting, and key off after 5 minutes pressure levels.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hard starts on mine were the fuel pressure regulator going bad. It's right on top of the fuel pump outside the gas tank. I got a new one off ebay.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.