Hard starting before and after new fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hard starting before and after new fuel pump

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
ghost98
1998 ZJ 

Hard starting before and after new fuel pump

I have a 98 5.9 that I'm having trouble with hard starting after it sits for a while. If it doesn't sit too long it fires right up. I read the threads that suggested priming the fuel pump 2-3 times before starting and that did work so I figured I needed a new fuel pump. I bought a brand new Bosch fuel pump (it also had a new fuel pressure regulator) and had it professionally installed. It seemed to help a little bit but it still has hard starting. I also cleaned the IAC with no change. Does anyone know what would be the next thing to check or replace?

ghost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
August88
1997 ZJ 

This sounds like a similar problem that rhall128 asked about in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...64/index8.html

I have a '97 ZJ 5.2L V8 and I have had the same starting issue for two years. When it has been sitting for two hours or more it won't start when the starting motor is engaged. A mechanic told me that there was a check valve in the fuel line and as long as the line was full, it should start right up. His explanation was that while the vehicle was off and standing, the fuel would slowly leak down past the check valve. According to him, all I needed to do was to turn the ignition switch to on and wait a few seconds (15 - 30) while the pump filled the line. At first that worked about half the time. Now I know what to expect so I engage the starter for 10 to 15 seconds, turn the switch to off, wait 3 - 5 sec and engage the starter. It then starts with no hesitation. This work-around works independent of the ambient temperature, the humidity, and any other variable, i.e., it hasn't failed in two years.

The mechanic stated that the check valve was not readily accessible and his estimate to replace it was $400 - $500 and he suggested that I just live with the work-around until/unless I needed other work 'in that area' in which case the additional labor wouldn't be a substantial cost. I am not a mechanic and I don't know whether he fabricated the check valve and its behavior, but the solution works. The only downside is I have to inform anyone who may be using or moving the vehicle of the issue, otherwise they will sit there and let it crank on and on.

On the positive side, I now have solutions for my tailgate not opening, my ABS light and what to do if I decide to replace my rear wiper! There is a lot of great information posted in this forum. Thanks for openly sharing the forum!
August88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
ghost98
1998 ZJ 

I don't think there is a check valve in the fuel system. Anyone have any other ideas?
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The check valve is part of the regulator which is in the pump module.
Some of these aftermarket pumps are junk right out of the box. Do you know which brand was used?
Bosch pumps are the original pumps that came with your Jeep when it was new. They cost a little more, but won't leave you situation when you least expect it.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
ghost98
1998 ZJ 

Yes it was a brand new bosch fuel pump
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Do you smell raw fuel in the exhaust when you have a hard time starting it?
Fuel injectors leaking? (run a couple of bottles of fuel injector cleaner through the tank)
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

my buddies 5.9 does this also if you prime the pump it will start fine, no prime takes longer.
Unread 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
ghost98
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
Do you smell raw fuel in the exhaust when you have a hard time starting it?
Fuel injectors leaking? (run a couple of bottles of fuel injector cleaner through the tank)
No not really there isn't a strong fuel smell or anything. My negative battery cable is not in very good shape could that possibly cause it? If i prime it it starts just fine but thats just annoying
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Have you checked your fuel pressure on the rail? When you shut off your Jeep for a few hours, the pressure in the rail should drop but liquid gas will remain in the line. When you turn the key on, the pump should be able the pressurize the fuel rail almost immediately. If you are having to prime the fuel pump to get the pressure to 49psi, it isn't working correctly. The fuel is either draining out of an injector or back through the regulator into the tank. Checking your fuel pressure through the entire cycle is the key.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

how many K , and how long since a tune up ?

You should repair the ground wire for sure .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.