Hard start in warm weather - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hard start in warm weather

RCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
jeepstudent

Hard start in warm weather

My 96 ZJ, 4.0 straight 6 has developed a problem. Last summer when the temp warms up to about 80 degree i get an extra long crank before the engine turns over. After it turns over it runs fine, little stutter at first but maybe for a second or 2. Since last summer I have changed the transmission, the O2 sensors (both), plugs, wires, coil, starter, water pump, tps sensor, and I just picked it up from the garage after having a motor swap done due to a bad piston bearing. Today its about 80 degrees and I went to start it, long crank time but it does eventually turn over...whats left for me to change to fix this?

jeepstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstudent View Post
My 96 ZJ, 4.0 straight 6 has developed a problem. Last summer when the temp warms up to about 80 degree i get an extra long crank before the engine turns over. After it turns over it runs fine, little stutter at first but maybe for a second or 2. Since last summer I have changed the transmission, the O2 sensors (both), plugs, wires, coil, starter, water pump, tps sensor, and I just picked it up from the garage after having a motor swap done due to a bad piston bearing. Today its about 80 degrees and I went to start it, long crank time but it does eventually turn over...whats left for me to change to fix this?
My jeep does the same thing if. you turn the ignition over acouple times and prime the fuel system if before you try to crank it it should fire off the first lick or two since it doesn't do it if you prime the fuel line before firing it up i have come to the conclusion that it is anything from dirty internal fuel filters, weak fuel pump would to dirty fuel injectors i would start by dropping the tank and checking thier first its one of the easiest tank to drop "harbor infreight" they have good fuel pressure test and vacuume line tester kit it was just under $20 it comes with vacuum and fuel pressure gauge tester along with various attachments .and doesnt yours have frame rails or is it unibody style like my 98
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post

My jeep does the same thing if. you turn the ignition over acouple times and prime the fuel system if before you try to crank it it should fire off the first lick or two since it doesn't do it if you prime the fuel line before firing it up i have come to the conclusion that it is anything from dirty internal fuel filters, weak fuel pump would to dirty fuel injectors i would start by dropping the tank and checking thier first its one of the easiest tank to drop "harbor infreight" they have good fuel pressure test and vacuume line tester kit it was just under $20 it comes with vacuum and fuel pressure gauge tester along with various attachments .and doesnt yours have frame rails or is it unibody style like my 98
And i have seen alot of Jeeps around these models that do this it doesn't always do it sometimes it does it a week a day a month then sometimes it want do it for a few months or so and every once in a while when starts it misses for acouple seconds then goes right back to a clean idle but i beleive thats from the tune up it needs its been running on the same plugs and wires for the past two years well a little longer now then the coil and distributer have over a 100k on them same for injectors fuel filters and fuel pump
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
jeepstudent

Yeah mine has the fuel rail, i was figuring it had something to do with the fuel system. I was alos wondering if the battery could be the casue too, i noticed when it does the hard start the battery gauge is a little less than 14, but when it starts normal it sits perfectly at 14
jeepstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstudent View Post
Yeah mine has the fuel rail, i was figuring it had something to do with the fuel system. I was alos wondering if the battery could be the casue too, i noticed when it does the hard start the battery gauge is a little less than 14, but when it starts normal it sits perfectly at 14
It might be worth a try charge your battery and give it a shot my battery gauge constantly flexes because of my system and plus my battery is bad so i keep the battery i bought for my neon before it blew up behind the passenger seat so when it will not crank with the battery under the hood i just roll down the passenger rear window hook up my jumper cables then just pull the cables threw the window its easier than lugging the spare battery everytime it has to be jumped

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.