Halogen Reverse Light Mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Halogen Reverse Light Mod

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Halogen Reverse Light Mod

Ever out on the trail at night and need to back up, but you can't see where you're going? Then this mod is for you!
Materials:
I used the clear lense halogen lamps from Harbor Freight because they are cheap ($9.99) and they are low profile so they dont block the turn signal.
Electrical ring connectors
Bolts for the connectors

First open your tailgate. Then locate the 3 bolts that hold in the taillight assembly, there are 2 on the side and 1 on top. Remove them and remove the tail light assembly. Remove all the lights from the tail light lense by twisting and pulling the sockets. Find the reverse light, it will have a black wire and a brown wire with green tracer.

Cut the brown wire and install ring connectors on both ends (optional to put one on the bulb socket end, I did in case I ever want to return the reverse lights to stock)

Now attach a ring connector to another piece of wire, this will go to the positive on your light.

Attach a ring connector to the ground wire from your light. I had to extend mine so I used a butt splice:

I decided to ground the lights to one of the bolts that holds the tail light on.
This is what you should have at this point:

Next, drill a hole in your bumper for the light to mount in. Make sure the tail gate can open and close with the light in this position, I had to re-drill once because I forgot this.
Depending on how your light mounts, you may have to remove the bumper cover and access the bolt from the bottom. I was able to stick a rachet in between the bumper cover and the body and tighten the bolt up.

Thats it!

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in this thread or PM me. Happy Wrenching!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you have to take out the original reverse light bulb, because if you leave it in, the circuit draws too much power and blows the fuse. Not to mention it will dim both lights greatly.

dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Just curious, can you take a picture close up and lights off?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L : 172,xxx miles, IRO 3.5" F>R lift, IRO Adjustable Control Arms, IRO Adjustable Track Bars, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Authority on Cragar V5's, Pavement Pounder until I get out of college :( ...Built Not Bought #650
Spend the Time and the Money the 1st Time, You'll End Up Doing it Anyway.
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

2015 KL Cherokee 

Thats pretty awesome. Love the MS Paint diagrams lol!

Honestly I dunno why they don't have bright reverse lights standard on all vehicles...it sure would help at night backing out of a parking lot with dozens of college morons on their phones not paying attention to people backing out...
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborn View Post
Just curious, can you take a picture close up and lights off?
yes sir I will take one tomorrow when its light out
Unread 09-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
Thats pretty awesome. Love the MS Paint diagrams lol!

Honestly I dunno why they don't have bright reverse lights standard on all vehicles...it sure would help at night backing out of a parking lot with dozens of college morons on their phones not paying attention to people backing out...
Thanks! They probably dont do it factory because of cost. Even though they could probably get decent lights for like $5 more, say you make 500,000 cars, you saved alot of money
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
phbrown
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
yes sir I will take one tomorrow when its light out
Thanks! cause that was going to be my question also

needless to say but subscribing now
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Went out and took some pictures.

Here is the light mounted:

Here is the ground connection, you can just barely see the blue end from the connector:

Here is the ground connector unbolted:

And here is the positive connection, it is the blue cluster with electrical tape around it. The white wire is the positive wire to the halogen light:
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
...They probably dont do it factory because of cost...
Change housings...

Some ZG (Europe models) have rear fog lamps in the bottom of the housing.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
melk
1996 ZJ 

The rear backup lights from an Aurora fit perfectly in the space next to the license plate. I'm gonna do this at some point.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

I just replaced my stock bulbs with H3's...... A little more custom fab work for the sockets but results are nice....I'm not big on hanging dung on when a simple mod will suffice.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96zedjay View Post
I just replaced my stock bulbs with H3's...... A little more custom fab work for the sockets but results are nice....I'm not big on hanging dung on when a simple mod will suffice.
Nice idea... got pics?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Bigdjs123
1996 ZJ 

Anyone ever try those "line of fire" led strips they put on trucks. The few I've seen are pretty bright web in reverse
Bigdjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Lol,Korea dont throw those up there unless you gonna give the part numbers too cause I couldn't find one.
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Nice thread. Love the idea of better light out back. I did the PIAA rear aux kit.
Before I get razzed, a new exhaust is on the list soon. Lol. :-)
img_2270.jpg  

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Nice idea... got pics?
Next time I need to replace a bulb I shoot some or maybe when I do #2 jeep I'll do a "How to" write up.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.