Half of instrument lights went out at once? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Half of instrument lights went out at once?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
wildh0ckey
1996 ZJ 

Half of instrument lights went out at once?

Hey guys-

First, I wanted everyone to know that I searched the forum for a while and couldnt find an instance of this...

I was driving down the road in my ZJ (1996) last night when the left side instrument lights all went out. The instruments all work as they should, but there is no illumnation.

Thinking about this analytically, I can't understand what happened. Either:
1) I blew every bulb on that side at once time. Highly unlikely, I would think.
2) I have a fuse or relay to check. I was under the impression however, that 1 fuse was responsible for the entire instrument panel illumination...why would half work and half not if the fuse was blown?
3) on a side note, I suspect my battery and cables need replacing, and will do that this weekend. any chance that issue could be a cause?

Thanks in advance. I bought this baby with a bunch of miles, and want to help her live a long life.

wildh0ckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

hmmm I don't see anything in the fuse panel that splits the cluster into multiple fuses, I would check any ground for the cluster, fuse box and battery. And hope your circuit board for the cluster isn't screwed
SuperStew11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Five cluster bulbs are all wired in parallel sharing common +12v and GND.
Not easily separated unless something shorted and melted the flex circuit trace between them.

Two bulbs on each side, one in the center.

Perhaps one left bulb was already out? Now the other left bulb went out?

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
wildh0ckey
1996 ZJ 

oooh....good thought. come to think of it, the one center left may have been out already. might be an easy fix or at least a good place to start.
wildh0ckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Getting the instrument panel out is very easy. http://www.installdr.com/installdocs...PDF/533013.PDF. Once you get to step 7 there you can remove the 4 screws around the instrument panel and pull it out, then change your bulbs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.