Had a starting issue, fixed it but how to prevent it from happening again? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Had a starting issue, fixed it but how to prevent it from happening again?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
mightymurph
1996 ZJ 

Had a starting issue, fixed it but how to prevent it from happening again?

My ZJ was starting fine every day, no delay or struggle in the starter at all. I bought a new battery for it with 875 CCA installed it and it started up just fine as I thought it would.
The next day I tried firing it up and the starter wouldn't crank at all. Head lights came on, wipers worked and the fuel pump worked. I figured it was a bad starter motor relay so I switched it with my intermittent wiper relay and nothing, then switched it with my fuel pump relay and again nothing.

So I did a bit of reading and found that some people would arch(?) the 2 ends of the starer with the metal end of a screw driver and listen for the starter to turn. I tried that but I couldn't get a spark, I then tried bashing the starter with a hammer and by accident arched the 2 ends and heard the starter turn. So I figured well might as well try starting it now and it started just fine! So I shut it off and tried starting it a few more times and it starts fine every time.
So what the hell went wrong? :S

mightymurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Which engine? ( please fill out your Jeep info on your profile)

I would start with looking at the connections. ( duh....I know....but it's a fact).
Your starter might be getting ready to "go" and never come back.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

Replace the starter. If you hit it with a hammer and it turned, it is going /gone. I carried a hammer with me for a week waiting on my new one.
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

You have a "flat spot" in the starter motor - which is why smacking it with a hammer makes it work (impact will usually "get the starter off of the flat spot.")

It's a fairly common problem with intermittently used electric motors as they age - same thing happens with electric fans. Didn't you ever have a house fan that wouldn't start turning when you turned it on, but would go fine if you spun the blades a bit with a pencil? I have.

1) Carry a mallet (rubber, rawhide, wood, leather - not metal!) while you're waiting for the replacement to show up.

2) Bear in mind that, generally, the starter motor is mounted with 1x3/8"x16 screw and 1xM10-1.5 screw. Don't mix them up - keep track of which one goes where!

And the word you were looking for is "arc" - and "arch" is a structural or architectural design principle, often used to support a great weight. An "arc" is an electrical discharge, either through open air or through a conductor that isn't normally supposed to carry current...
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
KJK
1998 ZJ 

The solonoid contacts are going bad. You either need to replace the starter or get a kit online to replace the contacts (it's really easy).
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
mightymurph
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the awesome reply's! I'm going to order a new starter motor from rock auto ASAP.
I see that they have some refurbs, but I'd rather buy one that's all new. They carry brands such as TYC, PURE ENERGY, ACDELCO and REMY. Anyone have any experience with these brands and can tell me which is best?
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I'd like to help with which brand I bought, I don't remember. However, I think it was the AC Delco brand.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

ACDelco and Delco-Remy are made in the same factories - as I recall, the ACD is the new stuff and the D-R is the remanufactured. Both are good, in my experience.
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

I once worked in a parts store that did alt, starter, gen rebuilds for mining equipment. I remember the mechanics like the Delco parts because they were the easiest to repair. You'll pay a bit more for the AC Delco or Delco-Remy but you'll have less problems in the future.
greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

X2 on starter going bad, carrying a hammer, and Delco.

Having a hammer in your vehicle is good practice anyway.
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
mightymurph
1996 ZJ 

Right on! Delco it is. Thanks for the responses, cheers!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.