Had a small accident - Need advice! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Had a small accident - Need advice!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
TSFSU

Had a small accident - Need advice!

While backing my dad's tahoe out of the garage today to go out, I clipped the area right above the right front tire with the back of the Tahoe. The Tahoe made it out with no damage while the Jeep wasn't so lucky. I am in the process of selling my Jeep right now and need advice as to what would be my best course of action. First, pictures:

http://tinypic.com/4t52m1
http://tinypic.com/4t53yr
http://tinypic.com/4t53zn

Excuse the extreme dirtiness..It cleans up nicely

It's a 99 Limited 4x4 with just about every option. It's got 83k and I'm trying to get $11,500 out of it. If I were to try and sell as-is, how much would that knock off of the price? If you guys advise against selling as-is (I don't really feel comfortable selling it with a huge scrape in it), do you think I'll be able to get $11,500 out of it after repairs?

[B][COLOR=DarkRed]Sienna Jeep Club #23[/COLOR][/B]

[B]Email:[/B] [email]Tom.Stearns@gmail.com[/email]
[B]Aim:[/B] FSU TS
TSFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I looked up your value on KBB, and without the damage, you're looking at a $10,000 vehilce. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Whenever you are attempting to figure out how much your vehicle is worth, remember that only a 100% not even the tiniest scratch or wear vehicle is worthy of an excellent rating no matter how well you've kept it. Your value is best found by pulling up a good and a fair rating and putting the price somewhere in the middle. Occasionally if you have something that is rare, or find someone who desperately wants your vehicle, you can sell it for more than this, however, that has happened to me only once with the twelve personal vehicles I have sold.

Sorry for the bum luck, get her fixed and I'm sure you'll find someone who wants a nice 4x4.
Unread 05-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Are you able to fix it yourself? If so, I can explain to you how to do it. Can you claim it on insurance? Do you know anybody that knows how to paint/do bodywork?

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wash and wax it to see how bad it looks. Then take it to a good paint shop...they can do accurate color matching and should be able to fix it very easily.

If I were looking at a used car that had a big scratch, I'd absolutely low-ball an offer...my offer would be for what I thought the vehicle was worth, minus an estimate on having the scratch fixed, minus a few hundred more for the hassle I'd have to go through to get it fixed. But I'd have no problems buying it as is.

I'd definetly shy away from buying a car where it was obvious that the owner did a cheap repair. If the owner went cheap on a repair, then I'd immediately wonder what else the owner went cheap on. I'd much rather buy a car with a big scratch on it than one where there was a cheap repair job...I'd question the entire service/repair history of the vehicle, and would offer even less than what I described above.

Along those lines, be honest about it with the prospective owner if you have it repaired. If the prospective owner asks about repair history, show him pics of the damage and a receipt for the repair. I did that when I sold a car several years ago that had been in a minor accident. The guy who bought it visibly recoiled when I told him that it had been in an accident, but when he saw the pics of the damage and the receipt for the repair, he was visibly relieved...and I got exactly what I was asking for the car.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
HemimanNYC

hmmmm - the Dealer gave me 10,500 for my 2000 Ltd fully loaded - he originally said 9,000.00

Sell it privately - I bet you can get 11k for it....

Former Vehicles
[B]2000 Jet Black JGC 4.7WJ Ltd. [/B]
Quadradrive I
Sidesteps/illuminated
K&N Air intake and Filter
265/75 Coopers

[B]1992 Black Wrangler Sport 4.0 [/B]
K&N filter & Intake /30' Coopers
600Watt Kicker Amp + 12'pyle SubWoofer
6 Sony Speakers
Sony faceplate (remember them?)
HemimanNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.