Gurgling noise behind dash, air in radiator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gurgling noise behind dash, air in radiator?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-31-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
lma1973

Gurgling noise behind dash, air in radiator?

Okay i thought i had a clogged AC drain tube because of hearing liquid behind the dash on the passenger side. Well now it seems like this noise is directly proportional to how much gas im giving the engine. The sound is coming from the radiator overflow resorvoir located on the passenger side of the engine bay. I can hear all sorts of liquid running through there all the time.

Could this be due to air trapped in the cooling system and if so, how do i "burp" it. Thanks!

Unread 12-31-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Yes, the first thing I would do is go to a store where you can rent a cooling system pressure test kit. I know locally AutoZone has them and you goive them like $50 and when you return it they give you all your money back.
The first thing I would test is the radiator cap. Actually, if you drove a different car there and brought your red cap with you then you could test it right in the parking lot. If it leaks, you'll hear the air rusing through it - buy a replacement. I got mine at the dealership for $11. AutoZone has them but they're cheap looking.
If not the cap then go home and pressurize the system. Do you already notice coolant loss?
When you fill it up, park the GC with the front end elevated. like on a curb and run it with the cap off filling through the overflow bottle. That should get any remaining air bubbles out.

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
lma1973

Thanks for the advice. I'll give all that a shot. I have noticed a little coolant loss in the reservoir (maybe gone down an inch or so in the last 6 months).
Unread 12-31-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

No, an inch in 6 months is not significant. Usually, we're talking an inch a month or more.

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Unread 12-31-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
lma1973

How long can i run it with the radiator cap removed? When i do this, should i also remove the cap from the reservoir as well?

Thanks.
Unread 12-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lma1973
How long can i run it with the radiator cap removed? When i do this, should i also remove the cap from the reservoir as well?

Thanks.
I'm not sure you meant this but in an effort to improve communication:

You can't DRIVE it with the rad cap removed. It's only a technique to force out air bubbles while in park. Ten minutes would be fine. If you're not fillinf it then the resevoir can be closed.

Phil
Unread 12-31-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
lma1973

LOL yes-sorry. I meant how long can i start it and run it (front tires elevated on a curb and in Park) to burp the radiator. Thanks for your help.
Unread 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lma1973
LOL yes-sorry. I meant how long can i start it and run it (front tires elevated on a curb and in Park) to burp the radiator. Thanks for your help.
WHat you want to happen is for the engine to warm up and open the thermostat. Squeezing your heater hose will tell you this. Then run it a little more and replace the cap. But if you have an air leak either in , the rad itself or the cap it won't do much good for any length of time.
Unread 12-31-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
lma1973

Sweet...i'll do. Thanks.
Unread 07-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
WillieB
1997 ZJ 

I too have had this problem, advice taken thanks. Just overheated on me, had the water pump and thermostat replaced less than a year ago, replaced the thermostat thinkin that was it today. That was a no go, overheated on the test run. Any ideas? Im going to have it pressure tested, Im hoping that it isnt a crack in the radiator.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieB View Post
I too have had this problem, advice taken thanks. Just overheated on me, had the water pump and thermostat replaced less than a year ago, replaced the thermostat thinkin that was it today. That was a no go, overheated on the test run. Any ideas? Im going to have it pressure tested, Im hoping that it isnt a crack in the radiator.
sounds like you have air in your system. run the car with the radiator cap off and jack up the front end. Air rise's to the highest point usually the gargling is air in the system turn the heat on fullblast and everything.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

My buddy changed the pump and tstat on his 5.2. Ended up overheating on the highway and warping the heads a couple of days later. Guess he didn't burp it enough???

Most replacement tstat's don't have a small hole next to the center so that air can easily flow through. I remember the original tstat we pulled out of there had one, I never looked to see if the new one had one. After disassembly I realized it did not. I drilled a tiny hole next to the center and now the system just burps itself completely. Yes some coolant flows through when tstat is closed, true, but the amount is insignificant to affect cooling system performance.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.