gun shot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > gun shot?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 01-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

gun shot?

to day i was driving home and i was going about 35 on a straight section of road and there was this explosion noise that sounded like someone shot a pistol off inside. i checked to see if there were anyleaks/exploded hoses as well as all the tires. it didnt affect performance and and still runs perfectly except for when i jumped and almost went off the road. just wondering if yall have ever heard anything like this ever hapening.

JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

maybe a rock was throw up by the tire and hit the body
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spife7980
to day i was driving home and i was going about 35 on a straight section of road and there was this explosion noise that sounded like someone shot a pistol off inside. i checked to see if there were anyleaks/exploded hoses as well as all the tires. it didnt affect performance and and still runs perfectly except for when i jumped and almost went off the road. just wondering if yall have ever heard anything like this ever hapening.
Could have been a backfire, but then again you do live in Texas

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Check your tires & wheels ?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

its not the wheels or tires i checked those and this was about 5x louder than he loudest rock i have ever heard. it almost made my ears ring. i have no clue what it could be but i was just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them.
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
its not the wheels or tires i checked those and this was about 5x louder than he loudest rock i have ever heard. it almost made my ears ring. i have no clue what it could be but i was just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them.
wow that's kinda scary. Do tell if you ever figure it out.

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

i will.... i almost peed my pants
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

You live in Texas … so it probably was a gun Have any enemies?

I am guessing that the engine back-fired some unknown reason. One reason an engine will back-fire is if it is starved of gas.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

I was driving once, (great start to a story) and I had a tie down strap with a hook on one end, the hook end was sorta tucked under the back seat and the strap fell out the door, and I didnt see it. About a mile or two down the road I hear a BLAM!!! loud as a mofo. I was like "who the **** through some **** as my ****ing Jeep!!!" I actually probably said more than that, anyway I get out to se what the hell it was, and after walking around the Jeep several time without seeing any obvious damage, I go to look at drive train issues, then I see the strap, It had hung out just enough for me to drive over it, it grabbed and pulled the hook into the seat, tore the leather "Damn it!!" and it yanked the door really hard making the noise, gave me a major dent in the inside of the door, didn't break the inner pannel, and no outside visible damage, but it was the loudest damn noise I've ever heard in my Jeep, followed by some loud yelling.

Doubt thats your porblem, but maybe.

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
wingless

My '84 Grand Cherokee was shot while driving on the highway. The vent window exploded in front of my wife. I called the cops and they were more concerned ifin I got out and chased the perps. I hadn't. When I requested them to respond, they stated it happens all the time at that location and they wouldn't come.

On the way home there were lots of cops and cars stopped at that location. When I stopped and talked to the others, who were also shot, they got the same runaround from the cops. I asked how they got 'em to respond.

The guy said, "don't respond, I'm on my way home to get my gun and I'll take care of it." They then came right away.
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

we had something similar around here a few year ago, called DC shooter
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Friend of mine had that sorta noise in his Ford pickup - the one where he kept his model 1911 stuffed in the seatback hinge bracket, which holds a .45 securely and readily to hand just beside the seat.
Once he jumped up into the seat, landed just a little bit on the pistol which discharged, ventilating the floor.

Made a noise just about like what you described!
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

proably just an engine back fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

check your wheel weights.... if those fly off and hit the fender wells it sounds like a gun... trust me lol

make sure they are all there
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
Casper4x4
1993 ZJ 

you ran over something! Like a large dog or maybe a human being.

IRO 4.5" Lift on Kumho 31" MT
IRO frnt adj. track bar w/ mount
Bilstein 5150 shocks
JKS Quick Disconnects
JCR 1 Ton steering
Addco Front Sway bar
Flowmaster muffler
K&N air filter
2 Pro Comp 2 KC lights on KOR light bar
Coleman roof rack

Coming Soon! Gears and locker!
Casper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.