Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Guidelines to trimming a front bumper?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Country Jeep 
#1 · (Edited)
I've seen several trimmed front bumpers on the picture thread and such places...they all look great, both the pre-96's and the 96-98's (though I prefer the 96-98 look). So, I've decided I want to trim my front bumper...what's required to do it? I'd figure either a really large Dremel or a Sawzall, but what's recommended? And does anybody have guidelines to doing it? Like...an outline of where I should cut? Because I've looked at a bunch of pictures of the 93-95' trimmed front bumpers, and I can't figure it out... :confused:

#3 ·
anticrombie said:
Just so you know, 93-95 is one style, and 96-98 is the other. 99 starts the WJ.
ah, thanks...learn something new every day :D

#4 ·
Check out my gallery. There are two trimmed 94 bumpers in those pics. I used a dremel tool with a fiberglass cutting wheel.

Remember to measure twice, mark and take a look at it again then, cut.

Hunter

#5 ·
Mine is a '97 I took the bumper cover off the jeep and cut it straight across the top of the holes until I got to the ends and then stright back, hence the wierd angle at the end.

I used a dremel tool. The little cutting discs I had tended to overheat and fragment if torqued, so use the ones Hunter recommended and wear safety glasses, Take you time. Measure, draw lines on masking tape and cut along the lines or use the edge of the tape for your line

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Alright, thanks guys...doesn't look like much has to be cut, now that I also went outside and checked. But I might delay it some, as I just found out that I have generally the same problem as I have with the MJ: the passenger bumper mount is badly damaged and is NOT supporting the bumper. Also, the passenger-side light assembly, unlike my MJ, is also damaged. The turn-signal and corner is just laying in the assembly where it won't come out unless you actually pull on it.

So I might wait until I can either find a new bumper, or until I convince myself to do some mods, starting with taking the inner fender wells out (they're about how my MJ's were; used the pressure washer once and they all flew apart from inside :p ), THEN cutting the bumper and not worrying about the mount.

EDIT: Just found out why this was the case...was once pulled out from some thick mud at the old Botta place by the front bumper mounts :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.