Guidelines to trimming a front bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guidelines to trimming a front bumper?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 12-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Guidelines to trimming a front bumper?

I've seen several trimmed front bumpers on the picture thread and such places...they all look great, both the pre-96's and the 96-98's (though I prefer the 96-98 look). So, I've decided I want to trim my front bumper...what's required to do it? I'd figure either a really large Dremel or a Sawzall, but what's recommended? And does anybody have guidelines to doing it? Like...an outline of where I should cut? Because I've looked at a bunch of pictures of the 93-95' trimmed front bumpers, and I can't figure it out...

'96 XJ Country (pearl white) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

How to install an RB1 w/ working nav into a '97-'01 XJ!

Last edited by Country Jeep; 12-18-2005 at 01:31 PM..
Country Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Just so you know, 93-95 is one style, and 96-98 is the other. 99 starts the WJ.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticrombie
Just so you know, 93-95 is one style, and 96-98 is the other. 99 starts the WJ.
ah, thanks...learn something new every day

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Unread 12-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Check out my gallery. There are two trimmed 94 bumpers in those pics. I used a dremel tool with a fiberglass cutting wheel.

Remember to measure twice, mark and take a look at it again then, cut.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Mine is a '97 I took the bumper cover off the jeep and cut it straight across the top of the holes until I got to the ends and then stright back, hence the wierd angle at the end.

I used a dremel tool. The little cutting discs I had tended to overheat and fragment if torqued, so use the ones Hunter recommended and wear safety glasses, Take you time. Measure, draw lines on masking tape and cut along the lines or use the edge of the tape for your line
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Kcolg

Definately wear eye protection and some gloves. I used a cutting disc on the dremel and it worked great. However it was more of a melt as it cut kind of thing and will occassionally fling very hot melted plastic pieces onto your hands and face. Click link for apicture of mine.

http://groups.msn.com/brushbeaters/h...o&PhotoID=1174

http://groups.msn.com/brushbeaters/h...o&PhotoID=1179
1994 ZJ - 4.0 - 242 - 4.5" RE lift - 32" Maxxis Bighorns - 4.11 gears - Super 35 axle - Ected lockers front and rear - On Board Air - JKS Quicker Disco's - ARB front - engine/TC/Gas tank skids - home made sliders - a little of Kevins stuff

Kcolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, thanks guys...doesn't look like much has to be cut, now that I also went outside and checked. But I might delay it some, as I just found out that I have generally the same problem as I have with the MJ: the passenger bumper mount is badly damaged and is NOT supporting the bumper. Also, the passenger-side light assembly, unlike my MJ, is also damaged. The turn-signal and corner is just laying in the assembly where it won't come out unless you actually pull on it.

So I might wait until I can either find a new bumper, or until I convince myself to do some mods, starting with taking the inner fender wells out (they're about how my MJ's were; used the pressure washer once and they all flew apart from inside ), THEN cutting the bumper and not worrying about the mount.

EDIT: Just found out why this was the case...was once pulled out from some thick mud at the old Botta place by the front bumper mounts

Last edited by Country Jeep; 12-18-2005 at 02:38 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.