Guess I joined the "submarine" crew.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guess I joined the "submarine" crew..

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-29-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
b1pig
2007 JK Wrangler 

Guess I joined the "submarine" crew..

I just flooded the ZJ.... Got it stuck last night in a horrible hole. I was winching out ok... until the alternator quit, the front axle burrowed in, and the winch stalled. The water just kept coming in.....

Anyway. I have the interior OUT of the Jeep. All the seats. All the carpet.

Between vacuuming out all the crap and trying to dry the fuse box out, I'm wore out. The only thing so far to take on water (besides the interior) was the tranny. Fluid came out looking like strwberry YooHoo. It's a friggin mess.

If you haven't... GET AN OPTIMA yellow top! Even after the winch drew so much that the engine stalled, TWICE... The battery had enough reserve after waiting a minute, I was able to fire the Jeep right up. TWICE.

b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
JdawgZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig
I just flooded the ZJ.... Got it stuck last night in a horrible hole. I was winching out ok... until the alternator quit, the front axle burrowed in, and the winch stalled. The water just kept coming in.....

Anyway. I have the interior OUT of the Jeep. All the seats. All the carpet.

Between vacuuming out all the crap and trying to dry the fuse box out, I'm wore out. The only thing so far to take on water (besides the interior) was the tranny. Fluid came out looking like strwberry YooHoo. It's a friggin mess.

If you haven't... GET AN OPTIMA yellow top! Even after the winch drew so much that the engine stalled, TWICE... The battery had enough reserve after waiting a minute, I was able to fire the Jeep right up. TWICE.

dang i hope that never happens to me must be a pain to go through all that.
[COLOR=Red][/COLOR][URL=http://myspace-196.vo.llnwd.net/00212/69/11/212361196_l.jpg][COLOR=navy][B][SIZE=3]Me[/SIZE][/B][/color][/URL] (updated 9/05/05 lol)
[B][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club member #256[/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
JdawgZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
jeepholic

Best stink control I found for wet Jeeps is this stuff called Damprid.
It's a bucket that you leave in the car and it soaks up all the water and keeps the smell down, very hard to get outside of Florida(we have very humid climate and use tons of it).
http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com....asp?cat=40019

I have also gone as far as soaking the inside again with fresh water, dries fast in 90 deg. days and also gets rid of the smell.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
b1pig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I pulled the whole interior. I shop-vac'd the floor and I am gonna put the carpet cleaner on it tomorrow.

Hey. There is a bright side. I was looking for a way to freely route the new main power suply cable I was gonna run for a distribution block for my stereo amp and HAM radio....
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the club, when I sunk mine I never took the interior out I justed soaked it in carpet cleaner and everything seems to have pretty well cleaned up even though a week later its still soaking wet
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 01:02 AM   #6
Trailzj

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig
The only thing so far to take on water (besides the interior) was the tranny. Fluid came out looking like strwberry YooHoo. It's a friggin mess.
I read some where that pink fluid coming out of the tranny is a very serious problem. I hope I'm wrong and everything turns out fine.

Al
Function before fashion
Trailzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 05:14 AM   #7
jeepholic

I was in the water up to my grill this weekend and all my fluids looked milky, I spent $70 in fluids yesterday and I bought the cheap stuff, ATF, gear oil, and motor oil.
Amazing how little gear oil seeps out of my Danas but when they go under water, lots of water seeps in. Hunter made me move vent lines but it wasn't enough.

Unread 12-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Jeeps and water don't mix... just keep em muddy!
Unread 12-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #9
gregmondro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepholic
I was in the water up to my grill this weekend and all my fluids looked milky, I spent $70 in fluids yesterday and I bought the cheap stuff, ATF, gear oil, and motor oil.
Amazing how little gear oil seeps out of my Danas but when they go under water, lots of water seeps in. Hunter made me move vent lines but it wasn't enough.
any info on the vent lines and moving them to a higher spot?
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 01:45 PM   #10
jeepholic

The 2 lines that vent the rear D35 are rubber and I replaced them with longer ones and ran them into a hole in the cargo floor so they are in the truck with some air to breathe. I will take a pic, I am tring to figure out a way I can put a vent on it so the end of the ventlines can stay where they are and just not take water in, but sticking them up a hole was easier.
It doesn't matter, just get them as high on the vehicle as you can, mine were all ready high, but since I regularly go in deep water I moved mine.
Thank Hunter for the tip.......

Unread 12-30-2004, 01:50 PM   #11
jeepholic

I should add it wasn't my vent lines that leaked, it was the diffs sitting under water for almost 3 hours. All we have down here is swampland and mud, the swamps have razor sharp coral rock on the bottom and about 2 feet of water. Seen a few gators.

Andy

Unread 02-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #12
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeepaholic, Any pics on the vent move? Do you get the smell of gear oil up front, now that the tubes enter the cargo area?
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
Hellspawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepholic
Best stink control I found for wet Jeeps is this stuff called Damprid.
It's a bucket that you leave in the car and it soaks up all the water and keeps the smell down, very hard to get outside of Florida(we have very humid climate and use tons of it).
http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com....asp?cat=40019

I have also gone as far as soaking the inside again with fresh water, dries fast in 90 deg. days and also gets rid of the smell.

They have damprid here at every walmart, kmart, dollar general, you name it in Illinois.. Have for years. Even a couple of clones of it as well.

Only used it once, cool stuff.
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #14
jeepholic

Damp Rid should be on our state flag, if you have a trailer or a home in South Florida Damp Rid is a must, didn't know they sold it up north.
I keep my diff fluid fresh, I got down changing it to about 30 minutes for both, I use gray rtv silicone instead of a gasket, it works great. My oil is always fresh so I don't get any smell, I also carry truck parts around so I may not notice anyway, it vents under the crapet in the rear, I also have heavy rubber flooring so it's under that.

Unread 02-07-2005, 04:47 AM   #15
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Hey,

quit telling people that I actually help.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.