GSW DW Freaking out etc... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > GSW DW Freaking out etc...

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

GSW DW Freaking out etc...

Long post but I need help here bad:

So about 5 weeks ago I ran Gillespie Gulch/Nugget Hill and during that day ripped up my SS. Every since then I have had bad DW. Bad as in DW at 30-35mph as soon as I hit a bump.

So in the past few weeks I have been on a spending splurge to fix everything I can. I have replaced:
1) UCA axle side bushings
2) Right-Front wheel hub bearing assembly
3) 4 x TRE's (2x on the tie rod and 2x on the drag link)
4) BPE (got rid of a little clunking)
5) Monroe SS from Kolak (switching to an OME SS tomorrow)

So that is ~$400 there (+ tools necessary to install this crap).

I have another wheel bearing assembly I am picking up tomorrow (another $140) and on Monday will have a set of ball joints for one side (probably going to replace my front-right since it seems like it originates from there).

Testing all of my components (grabbing tire @ 3 & 9 or 6 & 12, prying hub upward) don't display any symptoms of bad components but each time I replace something my DW gets slightly better.

So GSW is in ~5 days and the last thing I want to do is to be the guy to bail the day before the trip

The only things I haven't replaced are:
1) Both sets of ball joints
2) Wheel bearings on driver side

All control arms + track bar are new (RE CA's and JKS Trackbar). I only have 32k miles on my WJ so nothing should be worn out. Everything went down the crapper the day I destroyed my SS.

So in dire desire to go out to Moab, I need your guys help!

Suggestions, thoughts, etc... Other things to check?

I have gotten many alignments, dropped my air pressure on my 31's down to 28psi (my 32's are even worse! - They actually drive great @ 15psi ).

Thanks a bunch,
Ryan

Unread 06-03-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I am confused on the control arms. If I understand things: you have four new CAs and also two new bushings; up in the front?

The ball joints are a more complicated job. This is the one time that I would actually use a puller (it’s really the only way) rent a serious one from AutoZone or such. Once replaced, at least your camber should be perfect.

DW is one of the most F’ed up issues one can have with the Jeep. I spent one month and about the same money as you. I truly believe the cause is different for different Jeeps. I do not believe that toe or camber has much to do with it. But Caster certainly would make sense to me. Does your Jeep have those cam-bolts on the LCAs for changing the caster? If so then are they set the same for both sides? I am no expert when it comes to alignment. Alignment should be the last thing done as replacing components can change this.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new

Last edited by greasefingers; 06-03-2006 at 07:01 AM..
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
NOTQUITEMUSASHI
1991 YJ Wrangler 

are your tires balanced? a buddy od mine, when he thowsa weight od has mud caked in his tires/wheels wil get dw @ 35ish.
Yellow Jeep Club Member #91
CSA Jeepers Association Member#2
MERRY WACKO JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1
I BUILT MY OWN JEEP JEEP CLUB MEMBER #91
Apathetic jeep club for people who don't care about people who don't give a rats a$$ about people who have an apathetic jeep club jeep club club member # f this
RE 2.5XD + .5 shackles
ho-made f & r bumpers
bfg mt 33", 4.10's D30 xjD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecord
NOTQUITEMUSASHI and tcourdin, TJVigilante might not like you guys, BUT I LOVE YOU! Can we have a 3 way? :rofl:
NOTQUITEMUSASHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Musashi: Death Wobble is initiated by an upset to the vertical motion (by hitting a pot-hole or imperfection in the hwy). Unbalanced tire wobble is initiated by speed alone.

Arlo: maybe this will cheer you up. This is my bent tie-rod. I got DW around the same time I discovered that my tie-rod was bent. After replacing the tie-rod, with the Rustyís conversion, I STILL had DW!!

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 06-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Arlo: where are you? Itís time to wake up and drag your butt under the Jeep

Unread 06-03-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I was thinking caster as well, you might have a very low caster, so there isnt alot of pressure on the tires to hold the steering wheel straight.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

i was going to say maybe your tierod or draglink may be bent and flexing a bit but after seeing that pic . are all your wheel weights still on the rims? i mark mine to make sure theres no movement.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I have a JKS tierod...it is very straight, my caster is ~5deg which is what the Teraflex website suggests. Would more or less caster help?

Grease: I have all new CA's which replace all of the CA bushings except two which are part of the axle...those were fried and I replaced them.
Unread 06-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTQUITEMUSASHI
are your tires balanced? a buddy od mine, when he thowsa weight od has mud caked in his tires/wheels wil get dw @ 35ish.
Yep, tires are nicely balanced...

Oh and just to clarify, I used to get DW @ 35mph ish and it was bad DW...now I hit a bump at 45+ and it shakes every so slightly but does stop on its own (at least so far)...I haven't tested it above 55 for fear of dying
Unread 06-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

That's a long 4 hours to Moab at 35. Keep us posted.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #11
Varkyl
No where near stock

With the wheeling you have done it may have been enough to put some wear on the ball joints to give it some play. And with that little bit of slop in the joints it causes the oscillation.
If it wasn't so close to GSW I would let you use my ball joint tool. But the shipping to get it up to you in time would be about the same as the cost of the tool itself.
And if you are doing the ball joints you will want to use the proper tool to get the job done.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Ryan do you have Kevins dual SS setup?If all else fails Ryan put your stock arms back on.I have been on stock arms every since I got her and no DW.I got Kevins duall SS setup as a precaution.
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You've done all of the complicated things, but have you checked the simple solutions? I would suggest retightening all of your components to factory torque settings. I had DW in my TJ after I did my lift, and a loose trackbar turned out to be the culprit. Make sure everything is TIGHT! Good luck!
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #14
Polaris

Have you measured toe-in yourself? If not, do it. Don't trust an alignment shop too much.
ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

ThePointbreak.org | Mods and Wheeling pics
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Phew, internet has been down all day.

So I have checked all of the bolts and all are tight...my Jeep has been at a shop all day getting an alignment and will get it back tonight sometime before 7...fast service eh?

Nathan thanks for the offer on the ball joint tool...I actually bought one last week to replace my bushings...

Ramon: I don't have the Dual-SS setup. I had Kolaks Monroe SS that I barrowed from PullMeSideWays until this morning when I traded/bought an OME SS from him. It seems a bit beefier.

Thanks guys,
Ryan `

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.