Ground wire bad??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ground wire bad???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/

Unread 04-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
SafeRacer

Ground wire bad???

I just bought a 1996 and was just wondering if it could have possibly had keyless entry before. It has the sensor in the front window so I was thinking maybe it used to. Also, None of the power window controls work except for the one on the drivers door. I can roll all windows up and down from the drivers door but none of the others work. And the power locks on the drivers front and rear door are not working. Any idea as to why? And one last thing....the radio will work sometimes but most of the time it doesn't. It will come on but will not pick up a station most of the time. I am thinking an antenna issue but with all this electrical happening I was wondering if a ground wire could be bad somewhere. This jeep has not been drove very much. It only has 49000 miles on it. Thanks in advance.

SafeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check the wiring inside the boot at the door hinge area, driver's side. It's a known problem area.

As for the radio, remove the radio antenna spring that's in the connector and tape the connector back together. It's located somewhere above the fuse panel on the passenger side. Remove the tape, pull it the connector apart, toss the spring and tape it back together.

On my seventh PCM. Might have finally gotten a good one this time. Crossing my fingers.

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
SafeRacer

I just checked the wires in the boot on the drivers side. Everything looked good in there.

I looked above the fuse panel on the passenger side but I'm not sure what I am looking for there.
SafeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

The antenna cable. It looks a bit like a cable TV wire. ( thick) The connection is all wrapped up with tape.

I found my window issue under the carpet on the passenger side floor....but I dont know of anyone else who found their problem in that location. That's why I didnt mention it. One main hot wire was kinked inside the insulation and broken. 'Very hard to spot.

On my seventh PCM. Might have finally gotten a good one this time. Crossing my fingers.

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.