Grinding on turns - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grinding on turns

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi713 View Post
It could be eather but I was told that by removing the frount driveshaft that if the grinding stops it's the transfer case if it dosent then it's the rear axel. But I was just making sure that when I remove the frount driveshaft that the frount axel and transfer case won't leak.
It could still grind if the rear bearing in the T case is bad.

StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
lexi713

Ya that is true. Lol
lexi713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi713 View Post
The rear end is a Dana 44 3.73 and It had a tag on it saying it needed limited slip additive. I have not gotten into the carrier to see if it has the clutch packs or not yet. If I Rember right when it's on stands the tires rotate opposite directions
If it had a tag saying it needed friction modifier, I'd venture to say it has a limited slip. I doubt any PO would just put that tag on there. If the tires spin opposite directions, the clutch packs are worn out. Whether or not that's causing your noise is a different story.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
lexi713

Would the clutch packs beying bad cause the drive train any binding and damage anything. It has around 230,000 miles on it and as far as I know I'm the only owner that has gotten into the front and rear end. I got it 3 almost 4 years ago and it had I think 160,000 miles on it maybe 180,000 but I don't Rember. I was checking if there was any movement in the u-joints and that's when I found that there was play in the transfer case to the front drive line. I've all ready got a list of things to fix on it but can only do the most important ones first it's my daily driver.
lexi713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.