Grinding on turns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grinding on turns

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
lexi713

Grinding on turns

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee and when I'm at a stopand go to turn it grinds. It sounds like it's comming from the rear end but when I replaced the rear axels all the gears looked good no damage to any of them there's no bearing noise I replaced the outer bearing and seals but it's still making that noise and getting worse. I was told that if I drop the front driveline and the noise stops that the problem is the transfer case but I don't want to remove the driveline and the frount axel or transfercase to leak. Can I remove it and not have to worry about fluid loss and will it damage anything else on the jeep?

lexi713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good lord run on much? It's possible it's your tcase, dropping your front axle you shouldn't lose much in the way of fluid. Pop it out drive around see if it stops. What size tires are you running (as in are all the same size, if not or they once weren't this could case damage). What do you mean by you changed the rear axles? Full swap, the half shafts? What type of fluid did you use when you refilled the pumpkin?
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
lexi713

Sorry about that. Just the rear axel shafts not the entire thing. All the tires are the same size. And I used 80w90 gear oil and 1 little bottle of limited slip addtive.
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I took out both axles in a parts jeep and never lost a drop. Unless you guys are doing something different I believe theres 8 little bolts and the ds comes right out.
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You can remove the front drive shaft without a problem to check for noise. You do not need the friction modifier if you don't have a limited slip. If you do have a limited slip then it's possible that it's needs a rebuild but you need to figure out where the noise is coming from first.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
lexi713

The rear end is a Dana 44 3.73 and It had a tag on it saying it needed limited slip additive. I have not gotten into the carrier to see if it has the clutch packs or not yet. If I Rember right when it's on stands the tires rotate opposite directions
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi713 View Post
The rear end is a Dana 44 3.73 and It had a tag on it saying it needed limited slip additive. I have not gotten into the carrier to see if it has the clutch packs or not yet. If I Rember right when it's on stands the tires rotate opposite directions
We then you have one if the tag says it. It does have clutch packs that wear out. Mine wore out around 126k and needed a rebuild.

A limited slip carrier looks like this. Open carrier on the left LS on the right. You should find out where the noise is before dumping money on it though.
screen-shot-2013-11-14-1.24.52-pm.jpg

Unread 11-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
lexi713

Ok it's been a while but the one on the right looks like the carrier that I have. My jeep has about 230,000 ish miles and I'm sure it's never been done. I'm going to drop the front driveline and see if that will fix the noise cause when I grab the side closest to the transfer case I can push it up and down and you can hear it shifting (a light clunking) in the transfercase.
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi713 View Post
Ok it's been a while but the one on the right looks like the carrier that I have. My jeep has about 230,000 ish miles and I'm sure it's never been done. I'm going to drop the front driveline and see if that will fix the noise cause when I grab the side closest to the transfer case I can push it up and down and you can hear it shifting (a light clunking) in the transfercase.
Well if that isn't the problem you are writing about, it sure is a problem that needs to be fixed as well.
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
lexi713

It could be eather but I was told that by removing the frount driveshaft that if the grinding stops it's the transfer case if it dosent then it's the rear axel. But I was just making sure that when I remove the frount driveshaft that the frount axel and transfer case won't leak.
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Nope wont leak. Lol spell check much? A red underline means its misspelled. Front axle.
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
lexi713

My phone dosent show that. Sorry.
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Whatever I was just pointing that out lol.
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
lexi713

It's ok. I'm kickin it old school with the iPhone 3. It's a pos.
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Thats not old lol a motorolla flip phone is old.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.