grinding/rattle noise when passing gear is engaged??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
westcoastvibes
1995 ZJ 

grinding/rattle noise when passing gear is engaged???

I have notice 2 or 3 times now a grinding/rattle sound when I kick the tranny into passing gear. My first response was "hell, the tranny is going" but after the 2nd and 3rd time hearing it, it sounds like its in the dash or possibly on the firewall. I dont know if this makes sense but it sounds like the rapid clicking a starter or relay would make with insufficient voltage, just much faster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
westcoastvibes
1995 ZJ 

Nothing??? no body has any idea???
post #3 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
fitzerfamily

I have same problem sound like mine is from the engine once rpms get high.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The v8's suffer from a ping or detonation when the plenum gasket goes bad. If you dump a bottle of octane booster in there and it goes away then you know for sure it's coming from the motor. I don't know about the 4.0.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
westcoastvibes
1995 ZJ 

I have narrowed it down to something passing gear related. It does not do it with just high engine RPM's, its only when the tranny kicks into the passing gear. Like I said though, it does not sound like a metal grinding but more of a electrical grinding if that makes sense. If anyone has ever heard a commercial AC unit kick on or a older refrigerator when it first starts operating, thats similar to what I am hearing.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvibes View Post
I have narrowed it down to something passing gear related. It does not do it with just high engine RPM's, its only when the tranny kicks into the passing gear. Like I said though, it does not sound like a metal grinding but more of a electrical grinding if that makes sense. If anyone has ever heard a commercial AC unit kick on or a older refrigerator when it first starts operating, thats similar to what I am hearing.
Maybe you have a loose fuel line or a linkage that is rattling. Possible heat shield rattle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.