Grinding noise (output bearing?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grinding noise (output bearing?)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
ccoston
1998 ZJ 

Grinding noise (output bearing?)

I am experiencing a grinding noise that is getting louder lately. I get it for a second or so immediately upon letting off the gas. It sounds like it is coming from mid-vehicle and not the rear, and it shouldn't be anything in the rear diff because I just had it rebuilt at 4wheelparts a couple months back.

I initially thought it could be the drive shaft u-joints, so I replaced those. Didn't solve the problem. Does the problem sound like the rear output bearing on the TC? I have a 249, and the Jeep came with no front driveshaft, so I've been running without for now. It's a 98 5.2L.

ccoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
SMGORDON1259
1995 ZJ 

From What I have learned, NEVER DRIVE YOUR JEEP AWD WITHOUT THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT

The issue may be the Viscus coupler inside the transfercase ( 249)

The VC senses Wheel slippage and transfers power to the wheels that is not slipping Without the front drive shaft the VC is working full time and most likely "burning up".

not sure how true this is But I have heard it many times.

does your Front Differential have a U joint Yoke Or a pancake Style with 8 bolt holes?

gonna cost to rebuild the TC or replace it I have an extra working one and an extra drive shaft without the CV joint on the front.

The Drive shaft cv joints go for about 160 to 196 dollars depending on where you get one. O'reillys has one for 196 with lifetime warranty
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

He has a 96 or later. It's fine to pull the front DS. It's on the 93 to 95 that you can't.

93-95 split torque 50-50

96-98 split torque 90-10
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.