grinding noise from front end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > grinding noise from front end

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
ryan-5.2zj
1998 ZJ 

grinding noise from front end

hello, my 98 grand has developed some sort of squealing or grinding noise. it isn't similar to a fan belt squeal. the whole thing us to come and go, mostly uphills but now it's constant. the noise is noticeable when i start rolling around 30 mph or more. the noise comes with the use of the gas pedal and fades away as soon as i release the pedal. I jacked up the front end and spun the tires and heard nothing. my AC pulley always squeaks, but this has a vibration of it's own. any ideas on what i could be looking at?

ryan-5.2zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

driveshaft u-joints most likely. check for play in the shaft. if there's any play at all you have a bad joint.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'd take at look at the u joints also. Wheel bearing hubs will usually growl before they squeal... no comment!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
ryan-5.2zj
1998 ZJ 

thanks for the u joint tip. i have some wiggle in the front shaft coming from the TC area.
ok next question, should i replace just the u joints or could the yoke be bad also? thanks again for the help
ryan-5.2zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.